Chapter 13

The next week, after I had gotten the hand of using a sword, Luke gave me a long stick with a blade shaped like the moon. The sharpened axe-like blade gleamed bronze and silver, and the shaft was a starch white. Apparently, this was a scythe.

  Ethan taught me the fundamentals, while Luke silently watched in the corner. The shaft molded to my hands perfectly, and the blade was incredibly light, so it wasn't top heavy. It sliced through the straw stuffed mannequin with disturbing ease.

  "Fighting with a scythe is different than fighting with a sword. You don't swing, you slice and chop. It's a combination of an axe and a sword, and the shaft is long enough so that you can safely decapitate your opposer."

  Decapitate. That was a word I would have to look up later. I made a mental note. Ethan had me practice decapitating  the scarecrows. Later, Ethan gave me a little Weapons 101.

   "Scythes have been around since the age of the Titans. Did you know Kronos used a scythe to chop up his father?"

  So that was why Luke had wanted me to learn how to fight with a scythe. I shot him an angry glare, which he saw. When training was over he came to talk to me.

  "Don't be mad, Sam. It's in your blood to fight with a scythe. Nobody's got perfect parents, so you need to learn how to put the fact that Kronos is your dad behind you. Besides, I thought you did really great for your first day."

  "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME CHOOSE MY OWN WEAPON OF CHOICE! AND HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT THE FACT THAT KRONOS IS MY FATHER BEHIND ME WHEN EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THIS BOAT KNOWS ME AS "THE DAUGHTER OF KRONOS." HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I WALKED AROUND TALKING ABOUT YOU, BUT INSTEAD OF SAYING YOUR NAME, I SAID "SON OF HERMES." PROBABLY NOT VERY MUCH, HUH!" I screamed angrily.

  The training room got very quiet. Everyone stopped whacking the straw dummies and turned to look at me and Luke. He didn't look mad at all. In fact he looked sympathetic. I didn't want his sympathy. I turned on my heel and sprinted out the door back to my suite.