Chapter Five

Luke shook his head. "That's a story for another time too."

  "Oh."

  We walked for a few more miles until Luke broke the silence. "Are you hungry?"

  My stomach growled in reply. Luke laughed.

  We walked into a nearby town and looked for a fast food restaurant.

  "There's one," I said and pointed to a sign. It was orange and brown, and looked sorta swirly.

  "Perfect," Luke exclaimed. "A&W! Let's go!"

  We entered, and stood in the back. Luke looked at the menu.

  "Um....Luke," I said, very shyly, "I don't know how to read."

  "Just look at the pictures. They'll help you," he said. He waited a moment before saying, "Order whatever you want. I'll cover it," as he pulled a thick wallet out of his back pocket.

  I whispered what I wanted into Luke's ear. He nodded.

  "Two cheeseburgers, two sides of fries, and two regular root beer floats," he told the cashier, after handing her some money.

  We sat down with our food. I eyed my root beer float suspiciously.

  Luke looked at me. "Have you never had a root beer float before, Sam?"

  I shook my head.

  "It's just root beer with ice cream in it." He took a big drink out of his to prove his point.

  I took a slow drink out of mine. It was delicious! I drank half of it before Luke laughed and told me to slow down.

  "You'll get a brain freeze," he said jokingly.

  "A brain what?"

  "Never mind."

  We finished with our meal and walked out of the door.

  When we were far from the city lights, Luke looked up into the sky and sighed.

  "Have you never seen a starry sky," I asked him.

  "They're uncommon in New York."

  "You see one like this every night here in Oklahoma. Where's New York?"

  "Far from here."

  I stifled a yawn. Luke told me to look for a tree that would be good to camp under. We found one that was perfect for climbing. Luke rolled out his sleeping bag.

  "Why do you only have one sleeping bag?"

  "There will only be one of us sleeping at a time," he explained. "I'll take first watch."

  "What are you watching for?"

  "Monsters. And other people," he said, like that explained everything.

  I grabbed Carly and settled under the tree. It wasn't long until I had drifted off to sleep.