Chapter Eight

The rest of our journey went by quickly. We passed through a few states, until we finally got to a harbor in a small coastal town near what Luke called the Gulf of Mexico.

  "Why did we stop here," I asked Luke.

  "We're going to be picked up shortly and taken to our destination."

  Ethan laughed.

  "You don't have to be so vague Luke. It's not like she's going to care where we're going. And you're starting to sound like a GPS," he said.

  Luke told Ethan to shut up. I ignored them and listened to the sound of the waves crashing into the shore. I went over to some wet sand by the beach and began to draw a picture in it.

  "Sam it's time to go," Luke called. He looked over and saw me drawing in the sand with my finger.

  He walked over and peered over my shoulder.

  "What are you-," Luke began, but he was stopped by something strange."Ethan, come over here and look at this!"

  The sound of running footsteps came from behind me as Ethan ran over, startled by the tone of Luke's voice.

  "What is that?"

  It was then that I looked down at what I had drawn. A bunch of squiggly lines and dots and triangles were drawn in the sand. I looked up.

  "I don't know," I told Luke. "I kind of just drew something without even knowing what I was going to draw."

  Luke and Ethan turned toward each other and held a hushed conversation. I leaned in closer and strained my ears to try and hear their whispering voices.

  "What do you think this means," I heard Ethan say.

  "Perhaps it's some sort of ancient language from the time of the Titans," Luke replied. "But we can't be sure. It would be best not to dwell on it now until we are completely certain."

  "What's wrong," I asked Luke.

  "Nothing," Luke replied with a smile on his face as if to reassure me that everything was fine.

  Before I could ask anything else, the was a shouting and a great commotion from down shore.

  Luke changed the subject and said,"Oh look, our ride is here!"