Chapter 15

I changed out of my pajamas and left with Ethan. I followed him through the maze of hallways and into the dining room, where everyone, including Luke, was already eating. 

  I went through the buffet line and sat down wordlessly at my spot next to Luke. He nodded at me. 

  "Nice of you to join us, Sam."

  Suddenly I felt ashamed. It was childish of me to stay angry at Luke for that long. Luke had meant well, and my absence probably had him worried sick. I decided to speak up. 

  "I'm sorry for yelling at you the other day. I understood why you did it," I said. 

  "That's okay. I should've asked you what you wanted to use instead of deciding what was best for you myself," Luke admitted. "And by the way, Happy Belated Birthday!"

   "Is it really? I didn't notice!"

   Luke gestured at the calendar. Sure enough, my birthday was two days ago. I hadn't noticed because I was locked in my room. Luke gave me a small box. When I opened it, I realized it held a  gold chain with a small clock pendant. I looked up at Luke

    "I love it!"

    Luke helped me fasten it around my neck. As he did this, he told me what it symbolized. "Kronos wasn't just the Titan of the harvest, who ate his kids. He was also the Titan of time. He could control time and make it speed up or slow down. The rest of your presents are in your room."

  I admired the way the clock pendant glistened in the light. Luke and I laughed and chatted with the others at our table, until a strange man came up to Luke and told him he needed to talk to him immediately. He said it was very important. Luke nodded. 

  "Sam is coming too," Luke said.

  "But, sir," the man said, "She doesn't even know of our plan yet. And she's just a child!"

  "I know. But this involves her too. Besides, I've left her out of a decision before, and she lost four days of training from it. We can't afford to do that again," Luke winked at me. 

  The man sighed. "Alright. But do you think she can handle it?"

    Luke looked at me. "She can handle it, she jsut turned ten. That's old enough, right?"