Chapter Two

The boy looked about eighteen or nineteen, so technically he wasn't really a boy. Whatever. He had blonde hair, and a terrible scar running down his face. I wondered what had happened to him.

My uncle told me to go to my room while he talked to him. I didn't listen. I hid behind my door and watched as they sat down at the kitchen table.

The young man talked quietly with my uncle. I couldn't make out a word they were saying. A few times my uncle looked at where I was hiding and I quickly ducked back into my room.

My uncle told me to come out. He said he had something to tell me.

"This man is going to take you away for a while. He says he works for your father. You'll be happier there than you would be here with me," he said sadly while the young man sat awkwardly at the other end of the table. "You'll have fun, and meet lots of new friends. I couldn't have stayed with you here for too much longer anyways. I have a family of my own too."

I nodded. I would be happy to leave this farm. Happy to leave my horrible grandparents. Happy to leave the little old house that no we seemed big enough. Happy to leave all the bittersweet memories. But reluctant to leave my and uncle, who was the only family I had left.

I went into my room to go pack. I grabbed my backpack and threw in a few changes of clothes, my favorite blanket, and Carly the stuffed cow. I hesitated before throwing in the survival kit that I got for my eight birthday, complete with a Swiss Army knife and a compass.

I zipped up my backpack and took one last look at my room. I would miss it, but not that much.

I gave one last hug to my uncle, took a deep breath, and followed the man out the door.

It was then that I noticed how little I knew about this man. I didn't even know his name.