Chapter Six

Luke woke me up early for my watch.

  As he drifted off to sleep, I looked at the stars. My uncle taught me all about the constellations. He told me that each one told a story, and that a long time ago, people believed that some of the constellations used to be people and animals. When they died, their gods turned them into constellations so people could remember them.

  Suddenly I heard a rustling in the bushes. I shook Luke's shoulder violently.

  Luke moaned.

  "I think I heard something in the bushes," I said.

  Luke sat straight up. He pulled out a long, sharp dagger. Something told me that it wasn't ordinary. It's bronze blade glinted in the moonlight.

  I didn't want to miss out on the action, so I pulled out my Swiss Army knife.

  "Is that all you have?" Luke asked. I nodded.

  Luke sighed. "It's better than nothing, I guess."

  Luke crept silently towards the bushes. I followed closely behind.

  Suddenly something jumped out of the brush. It surprised me, but apparently not Luke because he grabbed it in a choke hold and pressed his dagger to the thing's throat.

  The thing, which I soon realized was a person, made gasping sounds, and Luke loosened his grip, but still held his dagger steady.

  "Hey, Luke, could you please remove your dagger from my throat. It's makin' me nervous," the thing said.

  Luke looked surprised.

  "Ethan?"