Chapter 12 -- Willing to compromise

Start from the beginning

I sigh, "Hey."

"Ash?" He questions.

"Della." I affirm.

There's some shuffling on his line, like the phone's being passed to someone. Mom.

"Della?" Mom's voice pipes up.

"I'm safe, mom. Y'all can come home."

"Where the heck have you been? We've been worried sick about you!"

"I was in The Undergrounds." I retort for what feels like the umpteenth time.

There's silence between us before the phone is passed back to Jonas, "Della, we're headed home. It'll take your mom and I longer than your dad and Mason." They were either stuck in the middle of nowhere or it was just going to take them longer because neither of them had the ability to travel fast.

"Della?"

"I'm here."

"Please don't leave before I get there."

He read my mind over the phone. So I guess he knows I'm lying when I tell him, "I'm staying put."

***

Anything in my closet looked better than what I was wearing now. That ugly Christmas sweater grandma made for me years ago looked better than my whole appearance. I grab a tank top and a pair of jean shorts and head towards the shower.

Ash insisted on following me over to my house. It made me feel better to have someone I trusted around me instead of Owen. I'm not really sure where Owen and I stood with each other. Maybe we need to establish some ground rules. Me coming home to take a shower everyday would be a nice start.

What am I saying? I want to continue working with him? I'm not going to stick around to wait for Jonas?

For some reason, my brain won't let me change my mind. I have to go back to Owen, to figure out what the heck is going on and why my dream was too much like reality. Was I partially scared of Owen's vague plans? Absolutely. But I need to see where this mission takes me.

After I turn off the steaming water and dry off, I listen to the sound of my dad's and Mason's voices. They got home rather quick, but then again, dad can teleport. Between their voices and Ash's, it sounds like there's a screaming match going on downstairs. I take my precious time in the bathroom.

Walking out of the bathroom a few minutes later, I hear their voices soften upon hearing me come down the steps. I awkwardly continue to comb my wet hair as my bare feet pad across the carpeted stairs. All three of them look at me with eagerness.

"Hey." Mason is the first to speak. I nod towards them and take a seat next to Ash on the couch.

Dad clears his throat, "I'm glad you're home, but it seems we have some pressing matters to discuss."

"Okay," I huff, "I didn't run away, no matter what that note told you. By the way, I want to see that later. The Undergrounds sent Trident to kidnap me and hold me prisoner for two months."

Mason holds up his hand to interrupt, "So how did you break that contract?" I guess he would know better than anyone how The Undergrounds operate.

"Well, Trident is a renegade, just like you were. So he's been plotting against his own family and enlisted in my help."

"Wait," Ash interjects, "So you've been released but haven't come home?" Her fists clench and her eyes narrow.

"It's complicated, Ash. I'm not exactly released. I still have to pretend like I'm their captive if I want to keep you guys safe." What I don't tell them is how Owen gave me the opportunity to run away. Wouldn't it have been stupid to take that chance? The Undergrounds would have both of our heads on a plate.