Episode 27: Day Forty Two

It took me way too long to remember how to spell Forty.

_________________________

You taped down the gauze with ease, "Just remember not to get this wet, alright?"

"Of course", the flustered woman nodded, she had introduced herself as Pam, "Thank you so much, Doctor Smith."

"My pleasure." You replied with a nod before she walked out of the infirmary. As she left Wynn came in. You were the only one working the infirmary today, so you began to tidy up the area.

"What happened to her?" Wynn asked casually.

You smiled, "Gardening accident."

Wynn shrugged before sitting down in the chair behind the desk pushed in the corner. You grabbed the box of gauze and put it in the cabinet before leaning against the edge of the desk beside her. It hadn't been a very busy morning, but you found yourself exhausted.

"Did you hear about the meeting?" Wynn asked as she played with the tips of her blonde hair.

"What meeting?"

She rolled her eyes, "Apparently the Governor is calling a meeting with only a select group of people. If you haven't heard about it I assume you haven't been invited."

"Were you?"

"No", She grumbled bitterly, "Castiel was and he told Gabe who told me."

"Cas got invited?" You thought aloud. "Who else?"

Wynn paused in thought, "Castiel, Shumpert, Martinez, Merle, Crowley, and Shane. Which is a bunch of bullshit, why aren't-"

The door opened and a group of three kids came in, one of the boys was bleeding from the knee. Wynn shut her mouth and preoccupied herself with something on your desk as you went to help them.

"What happened, guys?" You asked as you motioned for the injured boy to take a seat. They all began to speak at once about what happened and all you really understood was that a game of kickball had ended poorly. You gave them a smile and began to wipe the blood off the injury gently, "Well, the good news is you get to keep your leg, buddy."

The two boys were talking to each other as you wiped the small wound with an alcoholic swab. The boy tensed under your touch. You began to put a Band-Aid over it, "Sorry about that. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get infected. What's your name?"

You stood and threw the bloody swab and trash away when he spoke up, "Carl."

You spun around as your eyes snapped up to his face. It felt like your heart had stopped, the familiar face of the youngest member of the Grimes family sat in your chair. The sheriff hat on his head and a look of sadness on his features. You stumbled back, tripping over the edge of one of the cots, and hitting the ground. There was a sharp pain against your arm.

"Aj!" Wynn cried and jumped up. She was by your side in seconds, pulling you up and onto one of the cots. All eyes were on you, but you stared at Carl. He wasn't the same anymore. The injured boy had dark blond hair and big green eyes. Freckles covered his cheeks as he gave you a look of curiosity. "You're bleeding."

You glanced down to see that a sharp edge of the cot leg had sliced the side of your arm. It was a superficial wound at most. You shook your head and cleared your throat, "Sorry about that. You kids can go, just be careful ok?"

"Thank you." He said softly before the three of them ran out. You were in a daze as Wynn put a cloth over your arm to wipe up the blood.

You took the cloth from her and held it yourself, "I saw him. I saw...I saw a boy from my group."