Episode 17: Family

So this chapter is shorter than usual b/c it's really just a filler. Except it does have a pretty big plot point. So it's an important filler. Anyways, I hope you guys liked it. I struggled a bit with the end choice, but with some help from supeersaam it got finished :D The gif on the side was just something I found on tumblr haha. Give me some feedback, y'all ;D

____________________

"Find him?" Castiel questioned with wide eyes, "As in leave the camp?"
You nodded, "Yeah."
He thought to himself for a moment. You watched as his face twisted in confusion and hesitation, "Aj, are you sure you would like to leave the others behind? I'm sure you didn't plan on asking Rick permission to go and Daryl-"
A chuckle slipped your lips, "Asking Rick hadn't made the top of my list. He wouldn't let us do this but...I'm sure. We need to find him, find us! Who we really are. I'm tired of just brushing around the topic."
"And Daryl?" Castiel pressed.
You crossed your arms, "And what? I know what I'm choosing to do. I'm choosing to finally make a choice."
Your fists clenched. It was so confusing feeling like a monster one second and then thinking you might have been a hero. You wanted to know. All this time you had been sitting on the fence, not choosing to delve into your past but not choosing to shut it out either.
"I understand." He murmured.
"What about you, Cas? You don't have to leave with me if you don't want to." You offered, but you truly did want him to come. You didn't want to do this alone.
"No." He shook his head, "I follow you, Aj. Besides, they will be fine." The last few words were softer and unsure. Castiel's eyes glanced down to the gun stuck in your waistband, "You have a gun."
You glanced down. When you were in the car with the kid you nearly forgot it was there. Of course the fight with Daryl had reminded you of it, "Yeah...found it."
"We can pack today, prepare everything, and then leave tomorrow morning before the others are awake." Castiel replied before stalking away. His steps were stiffer than usual as his tan trench coat swayed behind him.
"I really need to find a freaking jacket." You mumbled to yourself and headed toward camp. Maybe someone had an extra coat they didn't need or use. You spotted Dale sitting on the steps leading into the RV. "Hey Dale."
His head snapped up at your voice, "Aj. How is your head?"
"Oh it's fine." You shrugged and paused in front of him, "Just bumped it is all. Do you know if anybody has a jacket?"
"Cold?" He stood up.
"Just a bit chilly is all. Most of my clothes I stole off the highway and I've managed to destroy most of them."
Dale laughed, "I don't, but I'll ask around for you." His eyes focused on something behind you, "I think T-Dog is calling you."
You turned to see him waving you towards his tent. You gave Dale a smile, "Fingers crossed it's because he has a jacket. Later, Dale."
He gave you a pat on the shoulder before you headed over toward T-Dog. He sat down in one of the fold out seats by the missing fire and motioned you to sit by him.
"That ring means something to you huh?" He said as you took a seat. Your eyes darted down briefly as you pulled it out of your pocket. T-Dog nodded, "I could tell."
"Why?" You asked curiously.
T-Dog leaned back, "I ever tell you how I met this group?"
"Nuh uh."
"Me and Glenn came to this group together. I was..." He chuckled, "I was pretty religious. Played a big part in all my church's activities, I was the van driver. I'd drive people without a ride to church and stuff." You hung into his words, "Well when the world went to shit I grabbed the van and hauled a bunch of people out of Atlanta. One of them being Glenn. Anyways, one of the ladies I was driving out was a family friend. She was my sister's next door neighbor. When I went to pick them up, my sister and her husband were gone."
"I'm sorry." You murmured.
He shook his head, "So I just grabbed her and most of us went our separate ways, except Glenn. He stuck around. Before that lady bailed though she gave me this." T-Dog held out a thin silver chain, "It belonged to her, my sister. I gave it to her on her 24th birthday. I got it for her because I was too cheap to get anything else." He let out a laugh as he stared at it. You could see him reliving a memory in his mind. T-Dog motioned for you to take it, "You can slip the ring onto it and that way you won't lose it."
"T", Your eyes widened, "I can't take that from you."
"Oh come on. If I wanted to hang onto it I wouldn't have offered it to you." T-Dog stood and let the chain lightly fall onto your open palm, "All it's doing is taking up room in my bag." You shook your head at his pathetic excuse. He gave you a smile, "Now come on. Stop looking so damn gloomy." You stood as wrapped your arms around him. He returned it with a chuckle, "Man, am I glad you're back, Aj."
"Because you missed me so much?"
He pulled away and joked, "Because Cas wouldn't shut the hell up about you."
You let out a laugh before carefully unclipping the chain and slipping the ring on. Then you put the necklace on easily. A bright smile lit your features as you glanced at the ring hanging from your neck, "How does it look?"
"Like you're ready to help me get the camp some water." T-Dot replied. You followed him towards the well. He not only managed to make you smile, but he kept your mind off Daryl and the fact that you'd be leaving in the morning.