Chapter Fourteen: Hunting a Friend

Start from the beginning

The emotion in her stomach died a little and despite herself, Elle raised an eyebrow. "Oh, I know how to use a sword. I've been practicing, remember?"

She did... right? She had practiced, despite having a battered sword and nothing but a few straw dummies. Elle figured that had been enough, plus she knew how to use a dagger well enough.

Legolas looked amused, as if reading her thoughts. "Ah yes, of course."

"I do!" Elle glared at him indignantly, her arrogance spiking a little. "In fact, I could take you any day."

A full grin broke across his face this time, his eyes glimmering with secret certainty. "I would not be so sure."

Elle opened her mouth, then closed it, biting her lip. She huffed. "Just because you can shoot a bow doesn't mean you are good with every weapon."

Legolas shrugged nonchalantly, "Of course."

"Stop saying that!" Elle glared, crossing her arms. The elf had an ego! 

Elle supposed she wasn't so surprised, she was no less than full of herself either, but still! Weren't elves supposed to be constantly respectful or something?

Before Elle could shoot an answer back, she noticed Aragorn watching from near the hobbits. She couldn't read his eyes, but he didn't look away and she suddenly felt slightly silly. 

So instead, she gave Legolas a grateful smile, hoping he could sense her gratitude better than she was conveying it. "Thank you for the sword, Legolas. I love it."

She turned, then stopped, shooting him a lopsided grin. "At some point, we will have to test your acclaimed set of 'skills'."

He crossed his arms and didn't answer, only chuckled in answer.

Unlike the others, Elle didn't have anyone to fawn over before their departure, so she was more than relieved when they finally made their way out of the cloven vale of Rivendell. 

She had started to feel awkward lingering in the shadows, with no one to talk to or wish goodbye. And from what she had gathered, talking to herself was looked down upon in such a social area, so there went that.

The elves had been respectful enough, wishing her luck and inclining their heads in respect as they walked by. Although a part of Elle had a sneaking suspicion that none of them actually even knew her name.

Upon leaving the guarded entrance of Imladris, Elle walked behind Gandalf and Aragorn, listening quietly as they debated over their path.

"We must hold to this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days," Gandalf said. "I have no doubt Frodo will make for Isengard, so we must try to cut off his path before he gets through the Gap of Rohan."

Aragorn nodded his agreement, glancing over his shoulder. His eyes went over the group and Elle noticed a flash of silver under his shirt before he turned back.

It was a silver necklace, clasped around his neck. He caught her eye for a moment, turning back around as Gandalf spoke again. Elle blinked, dropping her gaze.

In himself, Aragorn was lost in his own thoughts, despite nodded as if he was listening to the wizard speak. 

His hand drifted down to the sword at his side, the cause of the knot in his throat.

"Andúril," Elrond held out the sword. "It took many weeks for the reforging of this blade, Estel. Take it with you"

Aragorn gazed at the blade, his thoughts ringing with Arwen's earlier words; "You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself."