Catching Up on Life

Same Night, At the Hospital

Summer was sat by your side as you slept. She held your hand and just watched you. Soon, Ruby and the others came into the room. It was quiet, until Ruby spoke.

Ruby: So....he's my real dad?

Qrow: *sigh* That's right kiddo.

Ruby: Why didn't anyone tell me?...why didn't you tell me mom?...

Summer: We were afraid of how you react if we told you. It happened when you were still a baby, we didn't want to put you through that type of scenario.

Ruby: Did you at least try to find him?...

Raven: "At least", is putting it lightly, she always dropped you off with us, and left to search for him everyday since the incident. She did so for over 3 and a half years, and still never gave up on him when we forced her to stop.

Ruby walked up to the other side of the bed, and held your other hand. She began to feel something she felt a long long time ago. It was a feeling of love, love only a father could give to their children. Ruby began to tear up, realizing that it's all real.

Ruby: *sobs* Dad....*sobs*

Tai: We'll leave you be, come on guys.

Tai and the others left, leaving you and your family in the room. Ruby moved over to Summer's side and sat on her lap, still sniffling from everything she's just learned.

Ruby: *sniffle* This whole time *sniffle* the person I was looking up to...*sniffle* was my dad..

Summer: Has he been good to you?

Ruby: He saved me from a beowulf during initiation, and helped me get stronger.

Summer: He loved you every second you were born. He would turn a few missions down to spend time with you and me you know?

Ruby: *sniffle* Really?

Summer: Mhmm, he's the best husband, and best father ever.

Ruby: So why didn't he come back?

Summer: He went on a mission that was so dangerous, it needed a huge team of huntsman and huntresses. It went wrong, and he stayed behind to cover everyone's exit. After the incident, he had amnesia sweet heart, he didn't remember anything until we finally found each other.

Ruby: Ohh...

You stirred in your sleep, and began to mumble words.

Y/N: Mm, Ruby, don't take Yang's cookie from her.

Summer: *giggles* He really does remember now.

Ruby: His cookies are the best.

Summer: I know they are, he taught me to make them.

Ruby: He said that one day, if I became strong enough, he would show me how to use his sword.

Summer: That's good to hear. Okay, you should get home with the others.

Ruby: No, I wanna be here when he wakes up.

Summer: *smiles* okay.

Ruby walked over to the couch and Summer took off her cloak and placed it on Ruby like a blanket. She kissed her forehead.

Summer: Goodnight my little rose.

Ruby: Night mom...

She looked over back at you.

Ruby:...Night dad.

With that, she fell asleep,and Summer went back to your side. She laid her head on your lap, and grasped your hand again.