Chapter 30

The time came for teachers and the principal of the high school to announce nominees for prom king and queen. They would walk onto the stage and the true winners would be crowned. Names began to be called. The suspense led up. Three women were chosen and three men. The first name went by, five seconds later followed Coley's, and then me.

"Oh my gosh, no way!" She squeaked and held out her hand to me. I took it up and we tightened our grip while walking up the steps of the platform in front of many eyes. It's no wonder that Coley was chosen, but me? How? Why?

All eyes were burning into our skin as the three of us stood in a horizontal line. Time for the males. The popular guy from the class Coley, Reagan, and I have together was called up. He strutted to the opposite side of the stage as us ladies and showed off with a smirk to the crowd. Imma win this shit, he mouthed to his jock friend. The second name was read off, and then the third. Gussie and Wiggy. Surprise bitches.

"Ughhhhhh." Gus made it known that this isn't the kind of thing he indulges in. Wiggy seemed genuinely happy to be chosen. Wicca pouted in the crowd, glaring at the principal to show how badly he now hates this school system. 

Coley hiccuped a giggle. "He's so dumb, but it's adorable."

"Can't say I disagree." But I was looking at my favorite man in the world. The popular guy was too. He gawked at his adored Lil Peep with glazed over eyes. He should be fainting at any moment. Gustav stood tall beside him with Wiggy taking up the end, sandwiching the guy between them. The popular jock resisted the urge to fangirl in front of all these alert eyes. 

"Drum roll, please." The principal requested, holding two manilla envelopes. "This year's Winter Ball Prom Queen is-" The suspense was killing us. Coley gripped my hand tighter; she wanted this. I shifted my gaze over the crowd, scanning smiling faces. Avery-Grace's was the most encouraging. The tiara hovered above Coley's head. The crowd erupted in screams. The jewel-encrusted headwear then made its way to me. I received an equal amount of applause. The third girl didn't collect much commotion, but there was still a lot. A name was finally announced and the royalty was anointed to my friend: Coley.

She smiled wildly, touching the tiara nestled in her hair. "I had to make sure it was real." She told me without dropping her cheekbones. I realized that mine were rising high as well. She was directed to a microphone and the two of us losers exited the stage. Now it's time for the boys. My money's on my lover. The same ritual was done to them. The small principal failed at holding the crown over Gustav's head due to his height. I hid a laugh in my inner hand. 

"So sad." Reagan pitied.

"And the Winter Ball Prom King is . . . Wiggy!" Did nobody vote for Peep because of his tattoos? I was sure he would win, but I'm happy for Wigs as well. He and Coley hugged, congratulated, and then found their assigned mics once more. Their speeches were a jumble, but our crowd filmed every millisecond of the madness. 

Finally it was back to the dancing. The king and queen fell back into line with their peasant dates. Gus and I joined once more. "I have something to ask you."

"Oh?" I showed and proved to be truly intrigued.

"Yes."

"Go on." I looked deep into his handsome eyes, ruffling tufts of hair at the base of his skull where the neck begins.

"So, we've been around each other for a long time, in a couple-y type of way. I thought I would pop the question to make it official along with a little twist. So, Clea my darling, will you be my girlfriend?" He waited for my answer but my expression gave it away. I kissed him forcefully in a beautifully natural sway.

"Yes, Gustav. I am all yours." Wiggy was in my mind, Jahseh was in my mind. . .Jaim was in my mind; but all I knew was Gus. He was smiling like crazy, trying to get his next couple of phrases out into audible words.

"Will you come back to L.A. with me?" Whoa...he popped a big question alright. 

"Gussie that-that's a big decision to make in a split second." I made known my sudden surprise while palming his peck.

"So don't. Give yourself time to think about it. Talk to Momma."

"I will. It's tempting, truly." I grinned. "But it's not reality." He stared up at the disco ball before looking dramatically back down into my soul.

"This wouldn't have been reality six months ago, either." My breath caught in my throat. The druggie, gender swap, alternate ego of Melanie Martinez has a point.

"Like I agreed on, I'll think about it." I promised my, now official, boyfriend. Pushing my finger to his lips, I said, "Now, let's shut up and enjoy tonight." He of course had to ruin it.

"I'm thirsty." Him and his sexual shit. I rolled my eyes and played along.

"I wanna dance dirty."

"..." He looked around. "I want water." Embarrassing. My cheeks turned a rosy blush type of shade as he walked to the punch table with a curved back. Can I die, like, right now

__________

READ MY NEW BOOK "THE MYSTERY OF BLONDE BEAUTY" ASAP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Lil Peep's new best friend, that he toured with: Bexey Swan, frickin answered my email!