Chapter Five

"You're funny." I piped in after five minutes with the stranger who was transforming into a friend as Wiggy had done hours before. 

"I get that a lot."

"You say that phrase a lot in songs." Mint stared in awe at the man in front of us. She put him on a pedestal but he acted as if he were a normal young adult living a normal life. Something about him screamed I'm secretly poor to me, but that's most likely not true. 

"Okay well, I should probably get back on stage. It was lovely meeting the both of you." Mint melted like a dropped ice cream cone on the cooking black top of a playground parking lot, pooling around itself. Her flavor would be cherry ironically, she's blushing so hard. She continued to vlog.

"Bye." She waved him off as he went, but not before giving one last hug to the both of us. He slipped through the door and trotted back to the stage entrance where he rejoined the rest of his clique members. As soon as Lil Tracy was out of hearing range, Mint sounded her vocal cords with a blood curdling screech. 

"Yes! I met him, I met him, I met him!" She bounced up and down on her toes and frolicked around Wiggy and I.

"Oh my." He beamed. "You're one bright sunflower in the patch now, aren't ya?"

"Oh yes." She nodded quick enough to cause a concussion. "He's intoxicating." Her dreamy eyes fluttered back in satisfaction.

"You look like you're turning into one of Satan's minions." I informed.

"I don't care, I'm so ecstatic!" Mint flipped through the pictures and moments she had captured on video thanks to her phone, admiring each one and every detail to it. "Thank you for the pass, Clea. I'm so glad we came together!" She hugged my tight around, breaking every rib and cutting off my air supply. My blood circulation was poor. 

"Okay, okay." I pushed her back. "You've gotta keep me alive to show your gratitude."

"Good idea." She smiled to me. Actions really do speak louder than words. The syllables and vibrations jumbled together to form any type of language mean nothing until acted on. 

"Do you girls want food?" He pulled out a nightly pass to the food buffet. "It'll be on me."

"Duh." I blurted out as if I had known the young photographer all of my years. 

"Okay then, go get yourselves something." Mint and I made eye contact before racing each other to the carts full of chicken, pasta, pizza, desserts, and vegan food. We piled food onto the small ceramic plates with plastic silverware. Wiggy swiped his card for us and security let us pass with him into the V.I.P. part of the cafeteria. 

"Whoa. Red velvet rope and everything."

"Living the dream." He winked. There were about 20 other people in the cafeteria accompanying us. The three of us engaged in our own conversation until a man yelled.

"What did you say to me!"

"I called you a liar." A woman stood up; squaring on the lanky, nasally white man. "You cheated on my best friend!"

"Oh shoot." Our trio remarked in unison. I expected fists to be flung at one as the other dodged the blow, I was sure the action would play out; but I was wrong. The man continued to ramble, insulting the woman who stood up for her heart broken companion. She had taken enough of his bull crap and as swift as the thought had formed into her mind, she snatched up an apple. 

"Here, this should help you stop sinning." The pudgy 30-year-old rammed the red fruit into the perpetrator's pie hole. 

"Nice." Wiggy bit his knuckle. Mint covered her face, trying not to laugh at his odd move. I was tempted to giggle a bit too but the dude had just bought us free meals in a way. I stayed quiet and polite, deciding it was the best decision.

The pig with an apple in his mouth ripped it out and chucked it at the wall, nearly hitting an elderly couple. Instead of caring, he not very cautiously scooped a wine glass from the table he was closest to and dumped the red remains on his foe's hair. The only problem was that he grabbed a maroon candle stick instead of his original target. The wax hardened over the woman's flawless hair, changing that fact of course. Immediately, a food fight broke out.

"Take shelter!" I dove under the wood table with Wiggy following suit.

"Heck no, are you kidding me? I'm participating!" Mint flung cheese cake and cookies around aimlessly. The room broke into wild chaos. Security scrambled to get pig man and the stubby woman away from the scene. That didn't end the commotion though.

"Mint stop, we're gonna get kicked out!" I warned.

"She's right. We should leave." Wiggy suggested.

"Fine." Mint grumbled and put down some cheesy, buttery broccoli. My pupils shifted from her to her plate as if on replay.

"Really?" I asked, disapprovingly.

"What? I don't like broccoli."

"Then why did you get it?!"

"Did you plot this whole thing?" Wiggy suspected.

"No!" She acted as if she had really taken offense to his accusations. He's only known her for an hour and he can already tell what type of personality she has. Wiggy shook his head at her.

"C'mon, let's go." We sneaked away from the scene and back into the eerily quiet maze of narrow gray walls with catwalks as the ceiling. For some reason we took off running. It could have been the irresistible temptation of a long strip of ground where we could sprint against one another at top speed. It gave me a rush as the stale, unfresh air whipped my hair around behind my skull; struggling to keep up with my pace as it seemed. Mint intertwined her fingers in mine so it was only right that I let Wiggy in on this moment. I reached out for his hand and he accepted, cupping our palms together. We smiled at each other and for a brief second butterflies erupted in my abdomen. He didn't take his eyes off me or droop his attractive grin so I turned my cheek back to Mint.

_______________________________________________

Are you shipping anybody yet?

Insta: _yoshii_dey_