Chapter 23

Gustav, Mama, Avery-Grace, and I piled into our family van. Ew.

We were headed to the bridal shop, but don't fret; Gus and I aren't getting married just yet. It's to pick out a prom dress and a tuxedo for him. I chose Avery-Grace to come with us because she seems to be the wisest of us girls. She and my mother working as a team makes me feel 100% sure that the best dress will be scavenged for me. Besides, Gustav would love me in any dress...or out of it.

We entered the tiny warehouse-like building and instantly my eyes detected the focal point of the shop. My eyes were directed to an elegant and poufy red dress. "I want that one."

"Wow, I thought we'd be here longer." Avery-Grace's voice dissolved into a soft laughter. I added to it with a dull chortle.

"Trust me, we'll be here longer than an hour." I grinned at Gus and he punched my arm playfully, knowing I was accusing him of being slow. The statement lived up to its meaning. By the second hour, we had finally gotten fitted and paid for our dress and suit. We walked out of the dressing rooms at about the same time. I twirled in the mirror for myself.

"Whoa..." His eyes were wide with affection. I smiled at the raised floor that acted as a stage.

"You look so good, girl." Avery-Grace encouraged. My mother applauded.

"Yep, I'm glad this is the one you're getting. It enhances your curves."

"Mom!" I scolded.

"She's right." Gus played around as I chucked a heel at him and told him to shut up. He ran from me.

"You're such a sissy." Avery-Grace commented.

"Actually, he's considered a wussy-pussy."

"Oh, whatever." He acted offended. "I'm changing."

"Do it in the room, please!" Mom shielded her and Avery-Grace's eyes. "Clea, close yours."

"Nah." I winked at him as he disappeared behind the dressing room door. "It's not like I haven't seen it all, already."

"Clea!" Now it was my turn to run.

Alterations to the dress and tux were made within an hour and we were able to bring them home. I sat in the back of the car screwing around with Peep. When we got home the sun was setting and the planning and organizing began.

"Tracy, Wiggy, and Coldhart; you're going with Mint." Two of the men erupted in an explosion of excitement, the other groaned. You can pretty much tell who's who. "Wicca Phase and Gustav will be staying here." My mother flicked a glance in my direction and my cheeks burned. I was totally blushing. "The rest of you, Horsehead and Goth, are going with Reagan."

"I wanna be with Coley!" Gus pouted.

"Wow..." I drew out and folded my arms across my chest. "I feel unloved."

"Fineeeeeeee, I guess I'll stay." I attached myself to his side and hugged him. He hugged me back, taking in the a wif of my scent. "Shit, Wiggy." I cursed under my breath and pulled away. Wigs thankfully hadn't noticed. He was too absorbed in Mint's bubbling conversation.

It took an hour, but soon it was just the four of us in this house. Gustav and Wicca had found their way to the couch and their eyes were glued on the huge flat screen television above the not-so-hot mantle. I squeezed in between the two men, letting their presence comfort me. I felt safe. We shared a plate of 20 pizza rolls which rested on my lap. Gus laid his arm on my shoulders and then Wicca followed suit. My boys, I thought. They're all my boys. I let their warmth keep my company and as the sun fell, so did I. I felt a kiss atop my head just as I slid into slumber. The REM stage let off its chemicals and I began to dream.

Gus and I lounged in the strong, cradling branches of a tree. It stood tall, smack-dab in the middle of a wheat field. The field was surrounded by woods. Our own little happy place. The wind blew and shook the dry leaves that held on to limbs by a thread. All the reds and auburns, yellows, oranges, and browns drifted down to the dirt. At the base of the trunk, they piled up. I fiddled with a stalk of wheat as Gustav stroked my braided hair, playing with it. The air was crisp and nipped at my fingertips, nose, and ears; but I liked it. I love fall...and I was wearing one of Gus's sweaters. I pulled it closer to me whenever a breeze sent chills throughout my body.

"You're brown eyes match the scenery." He admired.

"So do yours." It was, indeed, brown eye season. We studied each other's irises before going back to the task that had occupied ourselves before. I was in utter peace. I did not miss Jaim, I did not pity myself, I could not feel sad; even if I had forced myself to. A blind force took control over my body, mind, and conscience.

I woke in a daze, not knowing where I was. The disorientation left me when I turned my head to the side and saw a framed picture of me kissing Jaim's cheek. I'm home. The smell of food rose from vents built into the baseboards. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked over at my alarm clock. Glowing neon-red lights blinked back at me: 8:17. Ugh, I groaned and sat up. Too bad I'm hungry.

I made my way down the stairs and entered the kitchen. "Whatchu makin' ma?" The voice that answered startled the shit out of me.

"Pancakes." It was low and belonged to a man. I whipped my head around so fast (while tripping over a chair) it could have unscrewed.

"What the hell are you doing, Wicca?!"

"I got hungry."

"Where's my mom?" He flipped the food.

"She went somewhere."

"Where's Gus and how did I end up in my bed?"

"He carried you, duh. I thought he was still up there."

"He stayed in my room?! With my mom here?!"

"You're mom's gone." I facepalmed and ran upstairs.

"Gus?" I was whispering for some reason but he came out of my room.

"Where were you?" He queried.

"Downstairs. Where were you?"

"The bathroom." He answered. I allowed some comic relief.

"I was worried."

"Why? I'm right here, baby." He enveloped me in an embrace of strength. I would never have expected his scrawny arms to carry such a punch. I kissed his bicep. "Ew, you're weird." He joked, so I bit him. "Babe, I was joking. Good Lord!" My phone buzzed to life.

"Coley found a friend." I exclaimed as a picture of her and Wicca came through. "When was this taken?" We both crept down the steps. "Wicca? Where did you go last night?" He froze and didn't stir the eggs for about three seconds.

"Nowhere, why?"

"You're a terrible liar." I flashed the photograph in his vicinity.

"Bro seriously, where was this?" Peep tried to get his friend to confess. The background was dark but a crescent moon was illuminating an eighth of the atmosphere. The two were huddled close together with coats pulled over them. They were smiling, uncontrollably, as it appeared.

"Ugh, fine." The man gave into our peer pressure. "We snuck out to some bridge late last night after everyone fell asleep. She picked me up. We were only gone an hour."

"You just met her!" I stammered. "This makes no sense."

"Love at first sight?" He winced. It was a sad attempt at an excuse.

"Whatever. Just don't break her heart. I'll gut you." I cautioned and took a pancake. I buttered it, cut it up with a steak knife, and drowned it in sticky maple syrup. Peep shared the plate with me, piling eggs all over the place. We ate and I held my man's hand beneath the table.

"You're aware that I've known about you guys since the pool incident, right." I almost choked on the bite I was working on. Wicca did not just say that!

Hey guys, so I literally has a dream last night that Wiggy and I were best friends and fought demigorgans. Somebody, send halp. XD