Chapter Three

The morning came quickly. I took a shower, did my makeup, picked out an outfit for this evening, and headed down stairs for breakfast. Mom flipped eggs in a gray skillet and waited for bread to pop from the toaster. 

"Tonight's going to be great!"

"I hope so." I breathed. "I am excited."

"Good, that'll make it enjoyable. Remember that Skillet concert you went to?"

"Last summer? Of course!"

"You didn't know them very well but you still had fun. Same concept here."

"You're right."

"As always." She flaunted. There was a braid in her hair.

"You're doing your hair again?"

"Yea, it's long enough now."

"I told you that you were going to regret cutting it short."

"Oh shush, here's some breakfast." I took the plate and sat down around my siblings. "Eat fast, we're going to go get your license after this."

"Wait, for real? I thought I needed a job first!"

"Changed my mind." Shrugging, she smiled.

"I love you." I showed her my appreciation. For some odd reason Jaim lingered in the back of my brain. I grew quiet and fed myself with no motivation. Either Mom was thinking of her as well or she noticed the decline in mood.

"I love you too...how are you doing with Jaim's loss?"

"Fine." One word answers always hinted to my mother. She came and sat beside me, cupping my chin in her palm. I was forced to look into her eyes. The act brought tears to my eyes. "Mom, this has to be a joke. She's not really dead...is she?"

"She is Clea...she is." It's not like this was the first time I had heard the news, but I cried hard like it was. "Look love, you are going to have the time of your life tonight with Mint. Just think positive and the wound won't sting as much. The throbbing will fade into the background and the cut will be healed with music."

"You always know all the right things to say." Mom wiped mascara from below my eyelids. "I'm trying, I really am."

"You don't have to try sweetie. Nobody expects you to be all sunshiny. Grief is odd, deal with it your own way, my love."

"Thanks mom." She wrapped skinny arms around me and I hugged her back. 

"Now finish eating and get ready for a picture, driving on your own awaits you." I scarfed down the meal.

When we got to the DMV we filled out much paperwork before they finally snapped my picture. It felt like a mug shot to be honest. I was none the less excited to drive by myself. I acquired the license and drove Mom and I to get spicy hot cinnabons from Taco Bell, our favorite. That and Steak & Shake fries. 

The rest of the day wasn't very eventful, that's routine I guess. The evening crept in through the windows and the doorbell rang. I opened the front door to a punk rock Mint. 

"I'm ready." She informed.

"I see this. Got your pass?"

"Of course!" Stupid question, it was strewn around her neck and plastered on her chest to where the whole world could view it. Mine was intact there as well, but on my own body.

"I'll drive. I got my license today." I gloated like a super star as we headed down the sidewalk and to the beater in the driveway. 

"Look at you, the ugly duckling all grown up." I gave her smartalec remark a smirk and ducked into the driver's seat. Chicago's an hour away. It went fast. Mint familiarized me with more music, especially Lil Tracy.