Overly Evil Goes to Prom

It was a dark and stormy night, on the eve of May 17th. Paul stood awkwardly in the corner of the office lighting candles; the power was out again. Overly Evil watched as the flames flickered up and down, casting deep shadows on the walls. A whisper of wind caught the door, shaking it as though a lonely ghost were dying to get inside…

    Paul threw the match away. “Overly! Watch it! You’ll burn your fingers off.”

    Overly scowled and dropped his hand back to his side. “I wasn’t gonna touch it…”

    “Sure you weren’t,” Paul replied, rolling his eyes. He sighed and walked over to the desk. “Hey Overly, this is going to sound weird, but I need a favor…”

    “OOOH! FAVORS? I LOVE FAVORS! What do you need?”

    “Um… well… you know Cynthia? My daughter?”

    “The one that stole my build-a-bear?”

    “Overly… that was fifteen years ago. She was three… and you were twenty-two… get over it.”

    Mr. Evil scowled again and turned back to his candle. “Yes, I remember her. What about her?”

    “Well, her senior prom is tomorrow, and her date got into a badminton accident yesterday and broke his leg, so he can’t go. He gave her his ticket and said she could find someone else to go with her, but all of her friends have dates already, so… she asked if I could get you to go with her. She um… well… she thinks you’re kind of… ‘cute.’”

    Overly blushed. He looked into the mirror hanging on the wall next to him.

    “Well, I do have a certain charm, do I not?” The villain flashed a smile. “Wait, what’s prom?”

     “You never heard of prom?”

    “No, will there be lasers, and ‘-inators’?”

    “No. It’s a big party for seniors.”

    “Paul, how do you have a daughter that is a senior citizen, when you are not one yourself?” Overly tried to do the math in his head but than gave up; thinking hurt his head.

    “No, Overly,” said Paul, irritated, “a senior in high school.”

    “Oh, that’s deeply confusing. Why would they name them the same thing? Darn you homophones!”

Paul opened his mouth to protest, closed it and shook his head. Best to leave it alone. “Well…will you take her?”

     “Why of course, I love prisms.”  Overly replied still making faces in the mirror. He now had the candle under his chin, giving his face a eerie demeanor.

    “Prom,” Paul corrected.

    “I’ve heard it both ways.” Overly shrugged.

    “Okay the party is at seven, you got to get a tux.”

    “Tux?”

    “Yes, a tux. Tuxedo. It’s a suit with a vest and bowtie. Her dress is pink, so you’ll have to find a vest to match. I know where to find one, so it won’t be a problem.”

    “Pink? That’s a bit of a vague description. What kind of pink are we talking here? Magenta? Fuchsia? Coral? Bubblegum? You gotta give me more to go on, Paul.”

    “Um… I… um… I’ll find out, I guess.”

    “Yeah, you better. This is an important occasion, Paul! You only get to be a senior in high school five times.”