Part 46

***

"Everyone on me! We're going for a meeting and greeting, and let's not forget killing of warhogs!" Sorin yells from the top of his lungs!

"Death to the warhogs!"

"Kill 'em all!"

"Are you joining us, Alpha Jena?" someone asks the panting Alpha as she shifts to her human form, entering the group.

"I am joining, but Sorin will lead. Listen to him as you would me!" reinforcing the image of total cooperation between the leaders of the Tri-Pack Alliance.

Being a good politician as well as a leader, Sorin doesn't drop the ball, continuing:

"I would be honored for you to lead by my side, Alpha Jena! Wasn't your mate incapacitated until yesterday?"

"He was. Why?"

"And is he ready to fight so soon? I mean no offense but we need everyone on top of their game."

"Sorry, Alpha Sorin, I fail to see your point?!"

"Well, it appears he has joined our defense group," Sorin says, pointing with an incline of his head.

"What? The hell he is! Stupid idiot!"

"Guess that was a surprise to you as well then. I trust you will catch up when you settle the issue, Alpha Jena. Wolves! And others... Let's get to killing!"

As everyone starts moving on, Jena reaches Al'Aeen, greeting him with a shove to the chest. A shove that has Al'Aeen recovering with difficulty, after several steps back and almost falling over.

"Why are you here, you damned idiot?"

"I heard that..."

"You saw me come and join the group. Didn't you say you would avoid me?"

"Well, yeah but I wanted to help and..."

"How? By being in everyone's way?"

"I'm sure I can..."

"Barely stand on your own two feet as we just witnessed? Have people worried about protecting your ass? You may not acknowledge our connection, but our people know you are my mate, they know how important you are to me and inherently to the pack, even if you don't. They would risk their lives to protect yours in a fight, and you do nobody any favors by going into it while still recovering. Conall, make sure the idiot heads back with the noncombatants, and since he seems to get into a fight so badly, feel free to assess his readiness through a spar or seven. For the accuracy of the report you'll make, don't hold back your punches!"

"I'm sure the Master at Arms has better things to do than babysit me..."

"Yes, he does. Obeying my commands, with which you apparently have a problem. So, any objections Conall?"

"No, Alpha. Your wishes are clear. Besides, there is an overdue conversation your mate and I need to have," the older man answers.

Oh great! Just what I needed! Another beating!"

The sarcasm in Al'Aeen's tone isn't lost to anyone, though it is thoroughly ignored.

"You better put up a fight then, so it doesn't turn into an actual beating."

***

"Where the hell are those damn warhogs?"Sorin asks over the open mind links.

"They should be about here. Judging by their speed and direction, it is where they should have been," Jena responds.

"It's like they knew we were coming and went elsewhere!"

"That's not possible!"

"It is if..."

"Alphas! A large group of warhogs has been spotted on the other side of the convoy, apparently heading directly for the noncombatants!"

"MOONS DAMN IT! Everyone double back, we need to protect the children and the elderly. Refugees too!"

"Alpha Aaron! There are..."

"Warhogs coming from the other side. I've heard. I have already started on a direction change for the convoy, as you run back, our direction will be perpendicular to yours. I've already let anyone know to allow for gaps to help the warriors run through the convoy instead of around it.

"Good. Everyone, focus on your jobs!"

"We may have another traitor in our midst," Jena says with an angry growl, remembering Lindator.

"Just one? So naive, Alpha Jena! Too many refugees amongst us to not assume multiple traitors are present."Sorin answers, his smirk almost visible through the mindlink.