Part 16

***

"Wolf, we have the location of the enemy camp!"

"What the insolent Raised warhog over here means is that I have the location of the enemy camp. Told you not to think too much, grunt. You just need to swing your tusks where the wolf, as your superior, tells you to. Nothing more."

"I ought to kill you right now, you damn coyote. You're even less than a wolf!"

"Raised! Let go of Signis and leave."

"But he's just mocking me, a Raised in the Master's army! Damn coyote!"

"He has his uses. While you have yours. At least in theory," the wolf says.

"But he..."

"Enough with the butts already! You just said he was 'even less than a wolf' and you expect me, coincidently a wolf, to take your side? Just go to your buddies and sharpen your tusks or something. OUT!"

The Raised moves out of the tent furious, heading away while trying to cool off.

"That was mildly entertaining."

"Don't tempt me, Signis! I'm not in the mood."

"Such a sour-puss!"

"Just tell me what you got."

"The location of the enemy camp."

"Jena and her mate?"

"Both there."

"And the child?"

"Huh?"

"Al'Aeen, Jena's mate, has a child there. Where is the kid?"

"Well, I didn't look for a damn child! Nobody said anything about involving a child!"

"Just find the child."

"This isn't OK, wolf."

"It's not like your information hasn't lead to the death of innocents in the past, Signis."

"That was collateral. This would be deliberate!"

"Big difference! Anyway, I already gave my word the child won't be harmed. So no need to worry. This is also a direct order. So find the child and the shortest, most direct way to get to the kid."

"Why? Why do you need a child?"

"I don't really, but I heard from a reliable source that child kidnappings are great motivators. She will serve as bait for her father. Then you can take the kid back to the pack yourself, assuming I killed her father instead of him joining us. Everybody wins, no?"

"You are a sick bastard! I knew why I liked you, wolf! Fine, I'll get you the info. What then?"

"I'll go get the bait, while the warhogs prepare a welcome party for the monster mate."

"How the hell will you get the child by yourself? And what about me?"

"The first part is my business, and the second part I don't care. Once I get my hands on the kid, your presence is irrelevant."

"Damn, you're cruel. Fine. I'm going."

***

With the team newly pledged into the pack, under the eyes of anyone who wanted to attend the joining ceremony, Jena climbs on a boulder, preparing to address the crowd.

And what better way to get everyone's attention but an Alpha growl, having all eyes turning to her.

"Even in these war-stricken times, it is important we find it within ourselves to make new friends, new brothers to care for, and with which we can share our burdens, learning and leaning from and on each other. And like my father used to say, isn't this a good reason for a party?"

Cheers erupt from everyone present.

"Now, since nothing warms up your hearts and brings forth an appetite like a good ol' fight, our Beta Nazih will be fighting one of our new brothers, Emremil, in a duel type spar, and I say duel because we want them to fight on even grounds, don't we? So bring forth the duel tea concoction and form a circle. The kitchens should have the food ready by the time these two gentlemen have had their friendly competition. Two barrels of the Mountain River's forest fruit wine will be opened for this occasion!"

The cheering comes back, doubling and then tripling in volume, with everyone licking their lips at the thought of drinking something so exquisite as wine, usually reserved only for the highest ranking wolves.