Chapter 33

ALISSYANNA POV

“We are royally screwed!” I hissed at Thorin. Bilbo and Balin looked from me to him. “I told you NOT to take this path; I told you we’d be cornered!” One after another all the rest of the dwarves were filing in.

“Will you shut up?” He whisper yelled at me. The whole running away idea hadn’t worked. I had one, it was stupid and suicidal, but it was better than this.

“Do you trust me?”

“No.”

“Good enough.” I stepped out from behind the wall. No Smaug. I stepped back to my spot. “Dragons are very vain, therefore easily offended.”

“Your point?”

“I might be able to get him away by insulting him. The rest of the plan is up to you.” Thorin stood momentarily, then nodded.

“This just might work.” He told us the plan.

I was alone. Weaponless. Hopeless. And shoeless, didn’t want to be attracting his attention before I wanted it, and hard soled shoes were the best for attracting attention. This was absolutely mad. Only an idiot like me would think of this, but, I will admit, it was going to have to do, I had no other plans. I turned in circles, looking around for any sign of the bloody great dragon. My bare feet were the only noise in the vast space around me.

I was looking to my left, thinking about jumping, when I heard something behind me. I whirled around, searching frantically for any sign of the dragon. Nothing. I swore I heard the sound of a coin hitting stone and spun around again. This was getting old now.

“Come out you dirty great pigeon!” I snapped.

“Brave you are! Insulting a live dragon, in the dark.” I felt something against my hip and side. I turned, raising my fists instinctively. “Do you really think you could hurt me if you hit me? Probably wouldn’t even dent a scale.”

“Speak for yourself; you’re all smoke and no fire.” Something hit me, throwing me forwards. I landed face first. I rolled and stood, ok, now, let’s try this again. I rolled my head, my demon shifting into her place. A subtle orange glow lit the area, and then went out; finally I was able to see in the dark.

“You are just like your father, pathetic.”

“Yeah? Well at least mine wasn’t turned into a boot.” I leapt out of his literal line of fire. My wings snapped open and beat hard to get level with him. “Is that all you got you witless worm?!” I dove to avoid getting cooked.  “I’ve been burned by matches hotter than that!” I twisted and out of the way of his jaws. “What’s wrong Sparky? Too fast for you?” I heard his wings beat once then rolled as he dove towards me. I started up, causing him to have to turn, which took a while in all his enormity.

“You always were the dumbest child, you think you will win this?”

“Aren’t you just adorable?” He propelled himself towards me, I started flying in a zig zag motion, making it harder to catch me. I weaved in and out of the pillars, diving and rolling, keeping out of reach. I led him to the given location, then hid behind the wall. Thorin got his attention. A noise caught my attention, I left my hiding spot and snuck out of the room, I heard it again, a sort of clacking sound. I heard a great roar and turned. Smaug was starting after me again. The next thing I knew I was being lifted onto something moving at a very fast pace. I looked down and saw I was backwards on a horse, odd? Wait, I knew this horse. I felt behind me, a sword was on the hip of my rescuer.

“Dok?!”

“Yep, I’m ditchin’ babe, be safe.” With that she leapt from the horse, over the side of the bridge. I reached behind me, took a hand full of mane and leapt off, I hit the ground with my feet then pushed myself back up and onto the horse, facing the right way now.