Chapter 4

“You forget, the front gate is sealed. There is no way into the mountain.” A burly looking dwarf said.

“That, my dear Balin, is not entirely true.” A large key formed in Gandalf’s hand.

“How come you by this?” Gandalf explained.

“If there’s a key, there must be a door.” I agree, not the brightest lot.

“These runes speak if a hidden passage to the lower halls.” Gandalf pointed to a map, I read it.

“There’s another way in.”

“The answer lies somewhere hidden on this map, and I do not have the skill to find it, but there are others in Middle Earth who can. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth and no small amount of courage. But if you’re careful and clever, I believe it can be done.”

“That’s why we need a burglar.”

“And a good one too. An expert I’d imagine.” Bilbo said looking at the map.

“And are you?”

“Am I what?”

“He said he’s an expert.”

“Me?! No, no, no, no, no! I’m not a burglar! I’ve never stolen a thing in my life!”

“Aye. The wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves.” A chatter broke out between the dwarves again. Gandalf was fed up, he had made the decision to bring Bilbo along and along he would come.

“Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar then a burglar he is!” He boomed, the room darkened a little. When everyone had their attention on him the light slipped back into the room and Gandalf began speaking again about his choice. “Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose, and while the dragon is accustomed to the scent of Dwarf, the smell of a hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage. You asked me to find the fourteenth member of this company, an I’ve chosen mister Baggins. There’s a lot more to him than appearances suggest, and he’s got a great deal more to offer than any of you know. Including himself. You must trust me on this.” He then looked at me. “Alissyanna will be his assistant, she is more graceful than an elf and she will make the fifteenth of this company.”  I bowed my head a little.

“Very well then, we’ll do it you way.”

“No, no.”

“Give him the contract.” A white bearded dwarf took a folded bit of parchment out of his robes and handed it to Thorin. Thorin handed it roughly back to Bilbo who began pondering over it. I wasn’t listening till he read a section about injuries.

“Incineration?”

“Oh, aye, he’ll knock the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye.” Bilbo went pale. He bent over and started breathing in and out, he looked a little faint.

“You alright laddie?”

“Yeah, I feel a bit faint.” I stood just in case.

“Think furnace with wings.” I looked at the dwarf who was talking.

“I-I-I need air.” He was still bent over, hands on his knees.

“Flash of light…” I shook my head and mouthed ‘no’ to the dwarf talking. “…searing pain…” I was whisper yelling at him to shut up. “… and poof, your nothing but a pile of ash.” Shaking my head I looked at Bilbo. He stood up and looked at me.

“Nope.” He passed out, I dove for him but was too late. He hit the floor with a thud, but I did catch his head, sorta. Gandalf and Thorin had picked him up and put him in the chair. I started a pot of tea while they woke him, when he was awake I had the tea ready and set it down in front of him. I left the room and listened to Gandalf talk to him. He wasn’t the politest he could have been

“Can you promise that I will come back?” Bilbo said after a while.

“No. But if you do, you will not be the same.” I entered quickly.

“Let me try.” I whispered to Gandalf. He left. I sat down on the footstool in front of Bilbo.

“Listen, Aliss…”

“Ali, you can call me Ali.” He nodded and opened his mouth to say something. “I want you to put up your pinky finger.” He looked confused. I put mine up to demonstrate. He did as told. I locked my pinky with his and looked him in the eye. “Bilbo, where I come from, this is how you make a promise.”

“And what promise are you going to make me?”

“I promise that when we get to the Lonely Mountain, and we will, that I will have your back when we face the dragon. Trust this, around me, nothing can hurt you, around me, you can’t even be touched by the enemy, I’ve got your back.” He looked at me, a little surprised. “Promise.” I smiled and gave him a wink.

“Thank you, but, Ali, I believe you have the wrong hobbit.” My smile faded, I nodded ad stood. I met Gandalf in the door way.

“Well?” He whispered.

“He’ll come, just wait.” Everyone gathered into the living room. Thorin was smoking his pipe next to the fire place. Everyone was still quiet.

“Far over, the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep, and caverns old…” He began to sing. All of the dwarves joined in. They all had a voice, which was not surprising; dwarves were, as well as elves, known for their songs. I was standing at the window, looking out. I caught a glimpse of my reflection; the scratches were still very red and raised. I turned from the window and started down the hallway, I opened a door and shut it behind me, it was a bedroom with a bathroom off of it. I went into the bathroom, shutting the door. I put my hands on the counter and leaned forward, the pain in my head had not subsided from earlier. I was breathing hard. I looked up and saw it smiling back.