Chapter 5

“NO!” I said. I stepped backwards into the wall. It was still in the mirror.

“You think you can escape me?! Fool!” It spat back, laughing.

“Just go away!” I croaked.

“Go away? Go away? I am the only reason you are alive, you should have died years ago and that ‘all holy’ land of yours! Go away. HA!” I collapsed to my knees. I covered my face with my hands. I felt tears come to my eyes, but I wiped them away. Crying was for the weak. I stood up and left the room. When I got out to the hallway, a few people were coming towards me; there were a few bedrooms in the back they were going to stay in. I ducked my head and passed them. Gandalf was sitting at the table, when we were sure everyone was asleep, I sat down.

“I noticed you missed the song.” He said.

It needed a word.” I answered, bouncing my leg. I was leaning forward, one elbow on my knee and I rested my head in that hand. The other leg was bouncing and the other hand was fidgeting with a string on my shirt hem. I was sweating a little and anxious as hell. He leaned forward, he took my hands in his and looked at me.

“Do you want a little Old Toby?”

“No, I’ve tried it, it doesn’t help, just makes it worse.”

“What can I do for you?”

“Nothing.” I stood up and started pacing. He stood to.

“There has to be something.”

“No. once a month It gets the better of me.” My breathing was fast and I was shaking now.

“Have you changed?”

“Yes, It usually calms down after that, but not tonight.” An unbearable pain spread all over my body. I doubled over and took deep breaths. “It’s like a war inside me. I’m constantly fighting with It. It never ends.”

“Can I give you anything for pain?”

“No medicine or magic would touch it.” I was kneeling again. When the pain wore off long enough to stand up I did. Gandalf was smiling a softly at me, I was confused. “Are you mocking me?” I snapped.

“Not at all, do you remember how to break your demon?”

“No, why does it matter, I’ve tried everything.”

“When you fell, I was still a child, I remember it vividly. I remember you gave me a scrap of paper and told me to keep it and when I grew older to find you. I did as told, but I had lost the paper. While searching for something a few months ago, I found this.” He handed me a small scrap of paper. When I looked at it, I saw my old language, I couldn’t read it, it had been too long. I knew it was my writing though, the different thicknesses of the letters and the ink splotches every so often. I looked at him, a hopeful expression on my face.

“Can you read it?” I whispered.

“I cannot.” My heart sank. “But I know someone who may be able to.” I raised my eyes to his. “Are you sure I can do nothing?”

“Yes, thank you though.” He nodded and left. I went and sat on the porch, the air was cool easing the pain a bit. I sat that night on the porch, I didn’t sleep, I just sat, staring at the stars. When the morning came I got up, everyone was awake I came into the door silently.

“Did you hear her leave?”

“No.”

“That’s because I didn’t.” I snapped back over my shoulder. The two dwarves instantly went silent. I found Gandalf.

“Any better?”

“No, but its tolerable.” I said. I took an apple from a dish as a few dwarves passed by carrying a table. I took a bite and went back outside I whistled and heard the sound of hooves on the dirt path. I opened the gate and took another bite of the apple. Braig came trotting up the path. He tossed his head and reared. I held the apple out to him; he gladly ate the rest of it. I looked down the trail and saw all the ponies following him. I pulled the saddle off and put it on Bilbo’s fence. I had only my pack and my weapons, and I didn’t want that saddle to weigh us down. I slung my pack over my shoulder and took off his bridle. He stuck his lips out and nibbled my shoulder. I shrugged him off till he pulled my hair. “Braig, you twit!” I turned and rubbed his head. He threw his head a little, rubbing his nose on my cheek. I giggled when he stuck his lips out.

“He’s almost as beautiful as his rider.” I turned to see a Dwarf standing behind me. He smiled at me, then at Braig. I blushed a little.

“Thank you…” I realized I didn’t know his name.

“Bofur.”

“Bofur, thank you.” He smiled and nodded, and then he looked behind us down the path.

“How’d they know where to come?”

“That’ll be Braig.” I explained looking at all the ponies, standing in the middle of the path.

“He’s smart to.” Bofur said, smiling, he walked back and examined his pony. I turned back to Braig. He rested his head on mine.

“Oh don’t even play at that, I went through more than you did last night, and I haven’t slept in three days, you’re fine.” He stomped his foot and turned his head from me. I rolled my eyes grinning. I heard everyone else come out, quietly. “Braig, help a girl out?” He bent down so he was on his front knees. I painfully swung my leg over and he stood up. Shaking off the dust he took a few steps forward, everyone was ready, and we all looked at Thorin, he passed by Braig and I. He was going to lead us. A few more passed and we followed in the middle of the company. The farther we went the more I thought that maybe Bilbo wasn’t going to come.

“Do you think he’ll come?” I looked and saw the dark haired dwarf I led to Hobbiton.

“Bilbo? Yes.” He nodded.

“They’re taking bets, you want in?”

“No, my lucks been a bit down this week.” I said smiling. Then I thought of something, I had been with him all day yesterday, and I still never thought of it. “What’s your name?” I asked looking down at him. He smiled and turned his horse around, just like had to him. I smirked and shook my head. Braig was getting antsy, he started trotting randomly and bucking just a little. “Oh, alright c’mon.” I squeezed his shoulders with my knees and reached into my pocket, pulling out a thin leather strip so I could pull my hair up. We stepped out of line and trotted over the hill. I leaned forward and tightened my grip on his mane. He started to paw the ground and he reared up a bit.

“What are you doing?” Thorin snapped.

“When you’re ready.” I said. Braig started at a trot, then he went into a canter, then he stopped, he looked back at me. I tightened my grip on his mane and held on tight. He waited a little bit.

“Alissyanna!” Thorin yelled again. Then, as if a whip was cracked, Braig took off into a dead sprint. The wind felt good, rushing past me, cooling my face. I could feel every muscle in his shoulders while he was running. He decided to turn, sharply. I was able to touch the grass with my hand. He straightened up, and then started back towards the company, still sprinting. I sat up straight; I pulled my leather hair ribbon out and let my hair down, it whipped around in the wind. I loved that feeling, the split second of joyous freedom, before I had to return to my wretched captivity, with it gnawing at the last bit of hope, or perhaps sanity, standing between me and it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How'd you like it?? Good? Better than the last one I did? Worse? Anything you want to ask/comment on.... put it in the comments!!! I want at least two this chapter, pretty please???

Thanks for reading!!!