Chapter 6

“Alissyanna!” I yelled. She, of course, ignored me. I couldn’t help but watch her. She had pulled her hair up and was holding tightly to her horse. Her horse was galloping across the land, only a little ways ahead of us. He made a sharp turn, where she reached down and touched the grass. When they were running back towards us, she took her hair down, the sun hit it, making it shine. As they drew closer her horse slowed to a trot. She was laughing, smiling wide. When they approached us, she was brushing her snowy white hair out of her face. They were still about twenty feet away, but I could still make out her blue eyes. My nephews rode up on either side of me; they had clearly been watching her to.

“She’s almost magical, don’t you think?” Kili asked me. I did agree with him. When I first set eyes on her, I knew she was beautiful, but it wasn’t till later, when we were so close, then I realized how beautiful. Every part of her was gorgeous, from her voice, her brilliant blue eyes, long silky white hair, elegant pale skin, to every scar on her body.

“Keep your eyes down, Kili, you cannot get distracted.” He looked at me, confused, and then nodded, falling back into line behind me. Fili stayed close though.

“What do you suppose she is? She looks like an elf, but, she doesn’t have the ears.”

“I don’t know.” I didn’t mention to him that when I asked she replied with ‘you don’t want to know’.

“Should I ask the wizard?”

“No, we will let it rest for now.” He turned and got in line in front of Kili. Alissyanna drew closer; she was smiling, looking over my shoulder. She pointed, everyone turned. The hobbit came running up the path after us. Everyone looked at me, a little confused, then at the hobbit. He walked over to Balin, handing him the signed contract, and nodded. Gandalf wore a big smile, and then nodded to her. She bowed over her horses shoulder.

“Give him a pony.” I ordered, turning, slightly annoyed that he had come. It’s not that I didn’t like him, but it was one more person to look out for, and as if I wasn’t busy enough with my fellow dwarves, I had to keep a close eye on him and Alissyanna, especially her, speaking she was the weakest link, and a woman.

“No, no, no, that won’t be necessary. I’m sure I can keep up on foot. I’ve done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I’ve even been as far as Frogmorton once.” He protested, just as he finished, my nephews took him by the jacket, one on each side, and put him on Myrtle. We kept going; I turned to make sure everyone was still here, when I saw, in the very back, Bilbo and Alissyanna. She was instructing him on something, walking beside his horse. Her horse was busy pushing her forward with his nose or nibbling at her back pocket. Finally frustrated by his constant harassment, she pulled something out of her pocket and opened her hand flat, he took it from her and trotted happily past he rest of us. She nodded to Bilbo and left his side, I looked back and almost hit her horse headlong. Jerked my pony to the side and glared at the horse. He swished his tail and glared back. Horse was just like his owner.

“Braig!” She snapped. He hung his head and looked up at her with the most pathetic stare I had ever seen. Alissyanna took ahold of his mane and pulled herself up, when she was sitting on his shoulders he picked his head up. “Sorry about that, he has a mind of his own.” With her knee she turned him around, he then started walking backwards. “What are you doing?” She said looking down at him. Gandalf laughed.

“Just as stubborn as his owner.” He said riding next to me. She finally got him turned around and riding like a normal horse, it took a while, but it happened. She was riding in the back with Bilbo, every once in a while one of the men would drop back and talk with her, friendly conversation, nothing more.

“All this horse hair, having a reaction.” I heard the hobbit mutter. “Ah, no, wait, wait, stop! We have to turn around!”

“What on earth is the matter?” Gandalf said looking back at him. Alissyanna was sitting cross legged on the back of her horse, holding back a smile.

“I forgot my handkerchief.” The hobbit explained.

“Here use this!” Bofur threw him a piece of cloth, a few laughed then we moved on. After a few more long hours passed by, I saw Alissyanna galloping past us. She wasn’t turning or stopping. Gandalf was beside me.

“Where is she heading off to?”

“She has to stake out the land.”

“Has to?”

“Reasons of her own, plus, she will be able to find us a place to rest for the night.”

“What are her reasons?” He stayed silent and pulled his horse around, going back to ride with Bilbo. We kept going, keeping a look out for our companion. Hours went by, the sun began to set, when finally, I saw her horse, she was standing on a ledge that jutted out from the rock, he looked up, not even bothering to look back at us. When I looked up I couldn’t see what she was looking at. She was standing on the edge, back to us. She turned and smiled waving her arm to get our attention. We accompanied her, looking around to see where we could sleep. Everyone gladly got off their ponies and took off their tack. Kili and Bofur got a fire started while Bomber prepared a meal. I saw Alissyanna standing on the little cliff, looking out.

“Good spot, I think they will be safe here.” Gandalf said stepping towards her.

“I hope so, you remember what I told you to do if…”

“Yes, but that will not happen, you must look on the bright side of things sometimes, Ali.”

“That’s a little hard when all you know is the dark of everything.” She turned, looked at me, and then started down the hill. He horse met her at the bottom and they left, walking into the woods.

“Scouting again?”

“No, taking a walk, clearing her head.” Gandalf said. “You know, Thorin, she does not need you to watch over her, she can handle herself, you know that, don’t you?” I did, I just didn’t want her hurt.

“Yes.” I replied, looking at him, then heading back towards the fire.