Chapter 38

VIVIANETTA POV

The night air helped soothe my burning skin. I'd been sobbing for the last hour, utterly lost in how to handle the situation. Thorin had gone mad, an army of elves stood now at our door, and Ali was missing in action. Kili was passing behind me, his every move setting me further on edge. Jay and Balin were sitting directly before me. Dwalin, Bilbo, and Fili were in the throne room, trying to talk sense into Thorin.

When I spoke to him it only angered him, one thing led to another and he raised his hand. I raised my blade before I could stop myself.

The whole thing had ended in disaster. He cursed me and ordered me away. I began begging-yes, begging-for forgiveness, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. Balin had been cradling me like a small child for the first few minutes, trying to reason with Thorin himself but to no avail. Balin's tears only made me cry harder.

Fili emerged a while later, Bilbo at his side, and took a seat beside Jayceeael. He took a match from his breast pocket and lit his pipe, taking a long drag before looking up at me.

"He said nothing. You are not welcome here by his rules. I bid you stay, i fear you're not welcome out their either." Fresh tears blurred my vision.

"What is this?" Jay leaned in, running her fingers over Fili's cheek.

"Not as bad as it looks."

"Thorin hit him, ring caught him I suspect." Bilbo interjected, earning an ugly glare from the prince. "Well you may as well not sugar coat it, he's gone batshit crazy." Balin gave him a hard elbow to the side, nodding at me. I pretended not to notice.

"We best get some rest," Balin offered, taking my shoulders. "We'll be needing it I'm afraid." I let him lead me back to the small camp we'd set up in the heart of the mountain. Dok and Kandi had made a stew, offering me a bowl before bed, i refused, sleep finding me much quicker than I'd expected.

I woke the next morning to shouting. Kili was shouting, hoping it was Ali I sprang to my feet and rushed up the stairs only to find Bard and Thranduil at our gates.

"They have the Arkenstone? Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!" The Arkenstone glittered in Bard's hand. There was no doubt it was real. You could tell by the rest of the Company's faces. But how they'd managed to get it...

"And the king may have it - in our good will. But first he must honor his word." Bard challenged. I moved to stand beside Thorin, taking his arm.

"They are taking us for fools." He whispered to himself. Then looking at me he said, "It is a ruse," He turned his eyes on the stone. "A filthy lie."

"Thorin, my darling, please, just give them the money. We needn't go to war-"

"THE ARKENSTONE IS IN THIS MOUNTAIN! IT IS A TRICK!"

"No, it's not." Everyone whirled around to face the Hobbit. He stood small amongst the rest of us. Phoniay stood proudly beside her claimed. "It-It's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them."

"You?" Thorin's face twisted in anger and sorrow as he turned to face the Hobbit. I put myself between them, placing my hands on his shoulders, trying to calm him without words seeing as every time I opened my mouth a fight ensued.

"I took it as my fourteenth share." Bilbo confessed.

"You? You would steal... from me?"

"Steal from you? No. No. I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one." Pin smiled adoringly at Bilbo. "I'm willing to let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim?! Your claim! You have no claim over me you miserable rat!" Thorin shoved me back out of the way.

"I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but..."

"But that, theif?!" I struggled to my feet, hurrying to get between the two.

"You are changed, Thorin!" Tears welled in Bilbo's eyes. "The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word! Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!" Kili and Fili shared a glance.

"Do not speak to me...of loyalty!" Thorin growled. "Throw him over the rampart!" Everyone took a step back, eyes wide. "DO YOU HEAR ME?!" He reached for Fili. Jay and Fili struggled to break him off. "I will do it myself!" He lunged at Bilbo, grabbing him by the collar. I screamed, forcing myself between him and the Hobbit. I was able to push him back a bit. He raised his hand, colliding his ring with my cheek, taking me off guard. Pin had forced Bilbo out of Thorin's grip. "Curse you!" He shouted diving back at the Hobbit and his angel.

"IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY BURGLAR..." Gandalf raced forward. "Then please don't damage him. Return him to me! You're not making a very splendid figure as king under the mountain, are you? Thorin son of Thrain!" Gandalf's attempts to distract him were fruitless.

We were all suddenly overcome with a the great rushing of wings. The figure circled around, hovering above Gandalf, Thranduil, and Bard. White hair was pulled back neatly into the typical war braid of the demons, battle paint decorated pale skin, outlined icy eyes.

"If you despise him so much then be rid of him." Alissyanna watched Thorin carefully. With a sneer, he dropped the Hobbit. Pin shrieked, diving after him. Strong arms caught the burglar, Pin hooking her arms around thin shoulders. Borim and Ulric ushered them to safety. "Where are my warriors. Dok's eyes glowed brilliant yellow, her other form showing. She leapt over the rampart, wings unfolding in a dramatic snap.

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't be, go." Fili stole one last kiss from Jay as she transformed, following Dok.

"Thorin," I looked to him. "Please."

"Get. Out." My eyes burned with tears, my hands began to shake.

"Vivianetta, it is time." Ulric's calm voice gave me a little strength, I took to the rampart, unfolding my wings and lowering myself to the ground.

"Are we resolved?" Bard shouted up to him. I shoved my way towards Ali, who had landed beside Gandalf. She met me with open arms, allowing me to wrap myself around her and sob into her shoulder. "The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised." Thorin glowered down a them, then turned his gaze elsewhere.

"What is he looking for?" Bard looked to Ali. She squinted up at him.

"I'm not sure."

"Shall I order my men forward." Thranduil looked to Bard.

"NO! Wait, please!" I took hold of his wrist. "Give him one more chance, please!" Thranduil looked to Bard who heaved a sigh and looked back at Thorin.

"Give us your answer!" A great Raven swooped overhead. Ali's shoulders dropped, her posture straightening. "Will you have peace or war?" A malicious smile spread over Thorin's face, he looked at the Raven which hand landed next to him.

"I will have war."

"Thorin!" I wailed, Borim's strong arm hauled me to my feet, dragging me back with the others.