Chapter 20

KILI POV

A few hours went by and the door opened, no one stirred, not even Gandalf, only the Hobbit rolled over in his sleep. I waited for a minute; someone was quietly rustling around in the front of the house. Then a light flickered, I heard a small whimper then a deep voiced murmur. Being the annoyingly curious person I am, I silently got up and crept to the wall to look around the corner.

A man, easily eight feet tall or more was standing with his back to me. He was like no man I had ever seen. He had mane like hair that ran down his spine, giving him an inhumanly look. His feet were bare, he wore only pants. The man was very burly, I could see muscles on his shoulders I didn’t even know existed. He pushed something across the table and turned again, in his arms rested Ali. I refrained myself from running to her and instead decided to just watch.

He set her down on the table. She was blacked out. He took a blanket off a shelf and covered her, putting a folded towel under her head. He moved silently, which seemed impossible with his size, but clearly wasn’t. Ali’s eyes flew open.

“No, no, what… no…” She started to get up. The man turned around, he put a hand on her stomach, pinning her to the table.

“Shush child, you will wake everyone. Rest now, let me deal with your wounds.” He said running his hand gently over her soft silver hair.

“Ok.” She murmured and relaxed closing her eyes again. He sat there a moment longer, making sure she wouldn’t try to get up again then stood. The man took a large pot and filled it with water, then lighting the fire he set the water up to boil.

“Where’d I put that?” He turned and then pulled something that looked much like a sheet off of the shelf. Then he took the water off the fire and let it cool a little. He drenched the cloth then wrung it out. He folded her blanket off of her arm, she didn’t move. What was he going to do to her?

The man took her arm in his hand, gently. Compared to him, she seemed hobbit sized. He started dabbing at the cuts on her arms. When he finished he took a needle and thread, sewing up a large deep cut on her arm. Pulling back the blanket he put her arm back under and pulled the other one out. He repeated this with her arm and legs. When he pulled her right leg out, he cringed slightly.

“Why must you always play a hero little angel?” He said looking up at her as if expecting a response. It took much longer for him to finish that leg than the other or her arms. I had been sitting there for easily forty minutes watching them. When he had finished he lifted up her legs and slipped his arm under her shoulders. He lifted her up and carried her in my direction. I fell to my back and closed my eyes so it would look like I was sleeping. When I heard him pass I opened them again. He set her gently down on a cot at the end of the house.

“Rest now, tired angel, you will need your strength.” He said, running his hands through her hair, he looked down at her, a sadness in his brown eyes, then stood, grabbing another blanket off the foot of the cot and draping it over her gently. He sat on a chair next to her for a while, just running his hand through her hair, whispering inaudible things to her which seemed to make her relax. She actually slept, not just closed her eyes and opened them when everyone was asleep. I watched her for a little while. The man had fallen asleep. She rolled over onto her stomach. Ali had thrown the blankets off; the pillow was tucked under her. Her arms wrapped around the down pillow and provided a bit of support for her head. One of her legs was bent, cocking her to the side a bit. The moon light was shining through the window, illuminating her fair skin. I smiled a bit at her beauty, then sleep took me into a dreamless rest with nothing but the thought of her on my mind.

Something soft was touching my face. I turned my head to the side, trying to get away from it, it kinda tickled. It happened again; I smiled a little and opened my eyes. A cow was looking down at me. Not Bombur, an actual cow. It rubbed its nose again on my face. Fili was doubled over laughing at me. I rolled my eye, grinned and took his hand. He helped me up and walked me to the table. Thorin, Gandalf, and the man from last night were sitting at the giant table. I saw someone else to, Ali. She was sitting on the edge of the table, one leg over the other, smiling a little. She wore a pair of pants that she clearly had cut short; they were fraying slightly at the edges. Her long legs were bandaged, her arms as well. Her wings were out, strange, I’d never seen them out while she was her regular ol’ self. She saw me and gasped a little. Leaping form her spot on the table she ran towards me, wrapping her bandaged arms around my neck. I laughed and kissed her forehead a little.

“Come, come! You must eat, we will be leaving soon.” She took my hand in hers. “Oh! And this Is Beorn.” She led me to a seat between my brother and my uncle. I sat down and she winked a little. She set a full plate down and a mug, Beorn filled the mug. Giving me a very… pissed off look. Ali was now sitting on the counter, ankles crossed. Our host looked away from the conversation he held with Gandalf.

“Little angel why don’t you spread your wings?” I looked at her; she had them pressed very tightly to her back. She looked at the ground then back up at him.

“They’re a little, uh… torn up at the moment.” She said, smiling weakly, spreading them a little, and revealing large claw tears in them. “No matter, I don’t use them all that often.” She gave him a reassuring smile, which he did not buy. He turned and looked around for something, then rising to his feet he took out a needle and thread. “That will not help, Beorn, they are too old to heal on their own, the next time I see my father I will have him chop ‘em, then we don’t have to look at the unsightly things anymore.” She said smiling. Chop ‘em? Umm, ok.