Chapter 19

KILI POV

“Are you alright?” I asked again. She flinched away as though I had my hand raised to hit her.

“Git ‘way…” Her voice trailed off. She was leaning on the tree trunk. One of her hands was in the middle of my chest, the other was hovering next to her ear, slightly waving like she was shooing away a fly. Her eyes fluttered, she was struggling to keep them open. Her head swayed a little, was she tired or was something else happening here?

“Ali, hon…”

“GET AWAY!” She screamed, shoving me backwards, her eyes were glowing a menacing orange. Everyone turned and was staring at her, surprised. Gandalf stepped between us; he took her by the back of her neck and pulled her away from the tree, leading her and us on. She clawed at his arm but she couldn’t reach it. What the hell was wrong with her?!

“Gandalf!”

“Don’t try and play your succubus act on me, I know you better than that.” He snapped, she tripped but he kept her up by the scruff of her neck.

“I get the feeling that it’s two against one. I’m already fighting me, so what’s another one?!” ( line borrowed from the song Two Against One by Danger Mouse) She snarled back. Fili was next to me.

“What’s wrong with her?”

“It’s the end of the month, her change.”

“She ever say anything about going completely bat shit crazy?” He muttered, instinctively I glared at him.

“She’s not crazy.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure of that master dwarf!” She yelled at the front of the line. Fili looked at me a ‘believe me now’ look on his face. I cringed a little and looked back at the ground. He patted my shoulder and kept walking.

“If you let her go I will let you go.” I heard Gandalf bargaining.

“Let her go? She won’t last a fucking second without me! She’s as helpless as an infant with no limbs!” Sick comparison... and a complete lie.

“That’s a lie.” She ripped away from Gandalf and looked back at me.

“And she’s relying on you to break me? HA! That makes me want to hang myself it’s so pathetic! Your faith in her will be what kills you. One day you’ll be in a bad spot, you’ll look all around for her; she’ll be running as fast as she can in the other direction.” Gandalf reached for her but something made him stop. He stared at the back of her head.

“She wouldn’t do that. Look all she did for Vivi, helped her many times, and Jay as well.”

“Really? Funny, you mention what she did for Vivi. You should have seen what she had to do with her father to get the rank as General.” She hissed.

“That is enough!” Gandalf took her again by the back of her neck, and then shoved her forward. She yelped and clawed at him again. Well, that was… a little unexpected. My brother looked at me, lips pursed, eyebrows raised, eyes wide.

“Ok, she is not crazy, that is what is crazy. So don’t even start in with the…”

“Did you hear that?” We all froze. Bilbo was looking behind us.

“RUN!” Gandalf ordered. Ali took my hand and drug me behind her, her eyes their regular blue.

“Keep up! C’mon!” She screamed letting everyone pass her and bringing up the rear. We burst out of the forest and onto the plains, I couldn’t figure out what we were running from. There was a house, ahead of us, in the middle of the grassy prairie. I turned and saw Ali lying in a heap on the ground I stopped but was shoved forward by Gandalf. We were weighed down by our gear and how tired we all were and all the while not knowing what we were running from. I glanced over my shoulder just in time to see a large black bear burst through the trees, charging after us. I sped up. We all did, Bombur especially. I turned to look over my shoulder again and watched the fat dwarf out running most of us… well, never underestimating him again! Dwalin, Fili, and I were the first to make it to the door. We crashed into it, but it didn’t open. We banged and hopped someone would answer, but no one did.  I saw Ali flying alongside the bear, yelling at it, getting its attention. Soon everyone was crowding the door trying to shove it open. Thorin and Gandalf were watching the bear trying to catch Ali. Se dived at it and then quickly pulled up, her long legs were pulled up under her skirt, narrowly missing the bears long claws. Her other form snarled and flew higher, egging on the bear. She dived again, but not fast enough. When she passed, the bear hooked her leg with his claws, he threw her, then pinned her wings. There was a tearing sound then a few snarls in her tongue.

“HERE! OVER HERE! HEY! OVER HERE!” I looked at Fili, who was yelling. I loved her but she was in her other form, any injuries would heal when she changed. “COME AND GET US!” Had he lost his damn mind?! I slapped him. “I’m trying to save your lover!”

“She’s gonna be fine!” I yelled back. The bear was now charging us. “See, that’s why you don’t yell! That’s why you shut up and…”

“OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!” Bilbo hollered, you knew he was getting frantic when he started dropping cuss words. Thorin sighed and pushed past us, unlatching the door and shoving us in. We all made it in, but the bear almost did to. We were all pushing the door closed, its snout biting furiously at us. We got the door closed and latched, it roared an ear splitting roar then ran off.

“What was that?!” Thorin exclaimed. Staring down the wizard, who turned and looked at us.

“That, was our host.” He said trying to catch his breath, as we all were. “He can take the form of a bear, but when he is in his regular form, he is a man. His name is Beorn, and he isn’t overly fond of dwarves.” A few grumbles were heard. I had only just realized how small Gandalf was compared to everything. How big was this man?! The back part of the house was barn, interesting. There were a few empty stalls, large enough for a whole herd of animals might I add. It fit Bombur and several others comfortably. The sun was setting. With a sigh Gandalf informed us to get some rest.

“Has anyone seen Ali?” I asked looking around. No. No. She always heals after she turned back to her regular self, no, she’s fine, still probably distracting the bear, leading him into the woods, yeah, that’s what she’s doing. No one responded to my question. Bilbo plopped down on a mound of hay, rolling on his side, falling asleep quickly. Thorin and Fili were trying to get settled in one of the stalls. I decided to just stay with them, I’d move when she came in. Fili kicked his feet up on the wall of the stall and was out in seconds. Uncle closed his eyes and also fell asleep, leaning up against the wall. I just sat there, I was too tired to sleep, and too worried.