Chapter 24

The feeling of loss when you lose someone's trust is unbearable when it's coupled with regret and guilt. It is further incomprehensible to even understand the pain of someone who had lost the trust of two people to whom someone owes their life. That was the pain I was feeling. My hands were tied and I was made to sit next to a giant willow tree. Brown vines were hanging from its branches and with them, Alastair was too. His feet and hands were bound and he was inside a strong magical barrier which nullified all the powers of the Mistiques.

 This kind of barrier is impossible to make as the people, they were also Mistiques, died in the previous war- the war which killed my parents as well. Their families were well provided for but the details of their death was concealed from the general populace. Later, a rumour floated around saying that some of them escaped. These barrier-makers, or as the general populace would call it- Null users, were ranked at the top in the Mistique hierarchy so it wasn't impossible. To think that rumour was true- well, it would have been a miracle to see this type of a sheen transparent barrier enveloping someone in the first place but I had no mind to appreciate it. My worry was about who was inside.

Alastair must definitely hate me now.

He noticed I was looking at him and he turned his head away. That action felt like a thorn piercing my heart. I turned away to hide my pain only to notice Haytham slouched against a stump. He did not look as pale as before, but he was definitely not his former self. To think of all the miseries I caused him, I must have lost his trust as well. He was not bound by anything, just too tired to move. Nonetheless, his eyes were fixed upon Alastair, never moving an inch away. 

He must have been blaming Alastair for what happened to him.

If I think about it, I was the reason that we all ended up in this mess. The thought of telling Alastair that we are heading to the Rebel's camp never crossed me. I thought it would lead to problems. I was right, it did lead to problems but those problems would be insignificant compared to what we are in now. To think Alastair went to such great lengths to prevent me from going to the Rebel's camp and to think that Haytham ended up in jail and was almost persecuted, I was the reason for it all. 

I turned back to look at Alastair and he was staring at me. I could see he was irritated, by the way his fists clenched and the look on his eyes which clearly implied his desire to kill me.

"Al"

"Do not call me by that, Miss Summers."

I guess I deserved that.

"Mr. Reed, I am not going to apologize"

His eyes grew wide with fury as he heard my words. Haytham too turned to look at me, quite startled by what I said.

"I do not deserve forgiveness, so I can't expect it."

"You better not expect it as you're the reason I'm in this position"

You really like poking other people's hearts with a needle, don't you?

"I know, but I will get you out. I'll make sure of that"

"Oh please, like you could do that." Haytham interjected.

Was that scorn from him?Prison really does change people.

"I don't know about that. But, that does not mean I should not try! And Haytham-"

"You can call me Blackwell."

They both really aren't that different.

"Mr. Blackwell, I won't apologize to you either, because I know that my apology will not earn me your trust"

"That is one thing you are right about" He said and went back to watching a rock lying on the ground.

Is the rock more tolerable than looking at me?

"Am I interrupting the Losers' party?" a female voice chimed in. Evelyn emerged from a bunch of bushes, carrying a small brown sack. 

"I brought provisions for you two" she said while looking at Haytham and me.

"As for the other one, Sir Libengale will come on over to give him his food"

"Why can't you just give it to him?"

"Miss Summers, don't be silly. Only the person who cast that barrier can touch it. I can't do that without dying. Or maybe you do want me to die?"

"I didn't mean to!"

"Forget about it! Here is your food" She threw down some berries onto my lap. But how am I supposed to eat it with my hands tied? As for Evelyn, she went over to Haytham and sat beside him. She rummaged through the sack and got a loaf of bread for him.

Why does he get bread and I, berries? This is discrimination!

"Aren't you being a little too mean, Evelyn?" Haytham asked and he was replied with a slap!

"Just worry about yourself , idiot"

She stood up, glared daggers at me and started to go back. Suddenly she stopped and turned around.

"Mr. Alastair Reed, you don't seem like a stupid person. Why did you team up with her, out of all people?"

That nerve of her! She's indirectly implying that I'm stupid!

"Well, everyone is bound to make foolish mistakes. It was out of pity, I guess"

My blood boiled with rage when I heard those words, but I did not lash out. Sure I lost my family, Mrs. White, my job, my home and now, the trust of two people to whom I owe my life to. But I didn't need their pity though there was nothing wrong with Alastair or Haytham pitying me. Anyone would, if they knew my past. But my pride doesn't allow any pity. Evelyn's shrill laughter snapped me out of my thoughts.

"You don't have to suffer with her any more, it's just till the Patron arrives!"

"Who is the Patron?" Both Alastair and I asked in a chorus to which I received a stare from all three of them,  even Haytham!

"You'll know, soon enough. Count on it, Miss Summers"