Chapter 18

Haytham's P.O.V

Motionless. Silence. Uneasy tranquillity. these were some of the things I was experiencing. It took me a great deal to wrap my mind around what he had said. To protect Jane, I'm incompetent? And she herself had mentioned something about owing something to him. What could their relationship be? And his eyes- he would have killed me off in a second, such was the resolution in his eyes. But what made him waver? Never had I faced such a formidable person. That alone gives me fear; fear of the unknown consequences. How did Jane get to know someone so dangerous as him? Why hasn't she explained it to me before?

"Haytham?"

I looked around to spot Jane timidly peeking from the boulder which I threw towards Alastair Reed. I couldn't help but feel betrayed. Why did she have to hide so many things from me?

"Where did Alastair go?"

Even now, she thinks about him and him alone. Just what could their relationship be?

I shook my head and turned back, not wanting to face her. He had defeated me in combat and even in her thoughts. That bastard! My fists clenched as I tried to stop myself from trembling uncontrollably.

"I still need to tell him something. Let us go after him!" she said, while pulling on my arm.

That's it! I can't take it any more!

"Stop talking about him!" I bellowed.

She staggered a few steps back, completely shocked by my outburst.

"W-what's wrong with you? Why are you behaving differently?"

Different? I was being different? Who was the one who changed when he arrived? Who was it that showed him a smile?

They weren't even acquaintances! They were definitely something else!! I was so foolish to believe she was mine, that accompanying here was my destiny alone. My fear turned into anger, anger at her for hiding so many things from me. Letting out a smirk, I proceeded to ask her,

"You seem to know a lot of people"

"You make it sound like a crime, Haytham"

"What if it is, Jane?"

She looked puzzled, like I had spoken in another language.

"I beg your pardon?"

"What if he was not a person to be trusted?"

"What is it with you people and assuming whom I trust?" she yelled out all of a sudden, which just irked me more.

"Well, you seem to trust him enough to owe him favours!"

"Why do you care about whom I owe favours to? The only reason I'm travelling with you is because I don't want to die in a forest!"

Her rant caught me off guard.

"So, you came along with me just to sur-survive?"

She nodded solemnly.

"Please don't assume things like Alastair did."

I threw a punch at a nearby tree, leaving behind a mark of my knuckles and a trail of blood.

"Haytham!"

"Shut up! Never, in your miserable pathetic life, compare me with that guy!"

"W-what?" she looked shell-shocked.

"Pathetic life? Miserable pathetic life? Don't tell me you was just pitying me all this while?"

"What if I was?"

She fell silent. She trembled and quivered. She looked at me, her emerald eyes locking with mine. They looked deeply pained.

"I should have listened to Mother" she whispered into the still night, still looking at me with such pained eyes.

"Haytham, let us go on our separate ways"

"W-what?"

Is she hurt by my words?

"I don't want to travel with you. If I am going to die in a forest, so be it!"

"B-but Jane! I need to take you to the Rebel's leader!"

"Do I look like I care?" she said, her voice clearly portraying her inner rage.

"It is my duty to bring you there"

"But it is not mine. I am obliged to do what I want, when I want"

"Just, listen to m-"

"No more!"she bellowed.

"No more, I cannot be your puppet any more. I won't be a doll for you on whom you can shower your pity!"

"Bu-"

"Don't say anything. Goodbye Haytham. Thank you for what you have done" she said with tears brimming over her eyes.

"Wait Jane, please let me watch over you and protect you at the least."

"Why should I?"

"Because, Alastair Reed had asked me to do so."

"H-he did?"

She suddenly flopped down to the floor as her legs gave way. Tears streamed down her face as she kept murmuring "Such an idiot" over and over. It was the first time I saw her break down so badly. And to think that I made her cry twice; hurt her emotionally as well. Maybe that guy was right- maybe I wasn't the one who should protect her; he should.

"To think that she chose you over me..."

His words replayed in my mind. Did I just make her regret that choice? She was still crying helplessly, burying her head down to conceal her crying face. I went over and sat by her.

"Jane, please don't cry. Let us go find him"

She looked up at me, her eyes red and puffy.

"Really?" she asked like a little kid and it took a great deal of effort to stifle my laughter. I gave her a nod and saw her face light up immediately. She may not trust me yet, but I want her to be happy. She deserves that.