A Scar for Every Bruise

The Center of the Gotham Storage Facility

Superman, Hawkman, and Martian Manhunter all walked in line side by side. They did not speak, look, or interact with each other. They were all trapped behind impenetrable bars within the confines of their thoughts.

Again.

While none of them spoke a single word to each other, they all felt the same. All they wanted was to just stop thinking; stop feeling completely. Maybe they could finally understand one another if they could just withdraw from the present. They could act like a team again.

Clark had buried Billy in a pile of rubble. He thought that it was the only way he could pay his respects as the Man of Steel. What a stupid conquest for everything. You should have brought him home. Though, Superman knew he couldn't do that. He couldn't leave what he considered his family to these wolves.

Manhunter stopped in his tracks and squinted at the grey smog in front of them. He swallowed as two shadowy figures emerged from the blur. It was them: Tempest and the Commander. He knew what they had done, he knew what was about to happen, and he knew that he didn't want to face them yet.

Hawkman spread his wings wider as the figures grew closer. He wouldn't let them manipulate him into believing a lie. He was stronger than his friends and his Thanagarian blood would drive his adrenaline. It would make him a wielder of revenge.

Superman's gaze lifted from the ground when he saw Manhunter and Hawkman's reactions to the smoke before them. His eyes widened and he almost let out a guttural snarl when he saw Tempest's blonde curls wildly wave in the breeze. Her movements were graceful and eloquent with the sway of her arms. Her presence matched that of the Commander's. His calm strides for attention evenly gathered hate between the three men. His powerful presence almost made him seem like royalty. Everything only grew worse when Superman's eyes burned hotter and redder when he saw the bloody mess of Wonder Woman tied to a chain.

The two groups faced each other, only being yards away from catastrophe. Everyone's eyes shifted to Tempest as she let out a deep breath that cleared away the lingering smoke in the air. Everyone could see all of the terrible destruction clearly now.

Including the giant block of ice that held the Young Justice team.

The three heroes stood frozen in their places and let out a shallow gasp of surprise. They couldn't believe their eyes. Superman's face fell flat. He was tired of feeling these emotions of defeat and despair. Especially the ones that Tempest dealt to him. He was tired of fighting his anger and depression. He just wanted this living hell to be over and he wanted it more than ever.

Tempest looked over to her father for reassurance. His eyes glimmered with defiance. She looked back at the League and placed her weight on her one leg and crossed arms. She put the block of ice behind them.

The Commander dropped Wonder Woman's chain and snapped his fingers. She sat obediently. He tilted his head at Superman and spoke in a low and gentle voice.

"The terms here are simple. You surrender, and I give your little copy cats back."

The voice in Tempest's head hissed. He said 'I', not we. Tempest stood her ground and clenched her jaw. She continued to watch.

All of the heroes shoulder's sat low, they would not let the Commander get away. Superman stepped forward, disconnecting himself from the others. "No."

The Commander placed his hands behind his back in a calculated way. "I had a feeling you might say that."

Superman's tone was venomous as he clenched his fists, "You will not destroy the world with your petty foolishness and dictatorship."

"Answer the question. Yes or no?"