We Were Never Young

Southern Edge of the Gotham Storage Facility

The Young Justice gathered in the shadows of an alleyway behind one of the last rows of warehouses. Nightwing nervously glanced at his teammates; they were all awaiting orders anxiously, senses fine tuned to every moment. Sweat was collecting on Nightwing's palms as he gathered enough nerve to speak to them. His hair cascaded over his mask, collecting the soot and ashes flying in the air.

He took a hidden breath and stood tall. 

"Listen up team," the group glanced his way, "this is the most important thing we've ever done and will ever do." Nightwing pointed behind him to reveal piles of corpses from both the Justice League and the Complex. "We have to save what's left of the Justice League without getting killed. We need to save them or there might not be a League anymore."

He saw the group's confidence disappear. He could tell that they were afraid.

"I know you're scared. So am I. After what happened to Cassie and Beast Boy, we should be, but we have to keep fighting. We have to fight for them, the ones who have died for us, and the ones who are dying just trying to beat the Complex. Yeah, we're scared, and truth be told, we can't deny that fact that we might die. But we can't run away from this. Yeah we're scared, but we're heroes and we fight no matter what we're feeling. We're brave so no one else has to be. Yeah we're scared, but if we don't step forward who will?" Nightwing flashed a smile that he hadn't given since his Boy Wonder days.

The mood hanging in the air changed to triumph as the Young Justice joined Nightwing's spirited demeanor by joking with each other. Blue Beetle was whispering something to his shoulder, Artemis was practicing with her bow with Me'gann, and Superboy was talking to Wolf: Impulse was super speeding his hands so that La'gaan could try to catch them: Rocket was making a force field around Static, who was trying to burst free with electricity.

Nightwing felt one last tug on his stomach. This is all who's left. This is Earth's last chance. There's no turning back.

Superboy emerged from the crowd and crossed his arms. "What now?"

Nightwing stepped toward him, "We hide in plain sight."

Rocket looked confused, "By doing what?"

Nightwing held up his forearm to show a blue screen projecting from his wrist. The screen showed a picture of  multiple ships. The one that stood out the most was the largest one located in the center of the fleet next to a random warehouse. It resembled a disfigured skull.

Nightwing cleared his throat. "The ship in the center of the fleet is the head ship and should be where we find the leader. If we take down the leader, we should be able to take down the army. The question is, how do we get to the center without being seen?"

The crowd gave a murmur of understanding as Nightwing put the screen away and nodded to the bodies behind them. 

"To blend in we're going to take the enemy's armor, but we'll have to split up to not cause suspicion. Superboy, Wolf, Me'gann, Static, and La'gaan. You'll be team one and will take orders from Superboy. Artemis, Blue, Rocket, and Impulse will be with me, team two. We'll meet in the center at the lead ship. Don't fight anyone unless you have too. Communications are down, so we can't help each other. Clear?"

Everyone nodded except Me'gann.

She had her arms wrapped around her chest as she lifelessly gazed toward the ground. "We shouldn't disrespect the dead."

Superboy went to her and placed a firm hand on her shoulder. 

"We know that," he paused, "but they did this to themselves."

"Still," Me'gann looked back up at her team. The team's eyes showed no remorse. They were filled with hate for what the Complex had done. Me'gann knew if she really looked deep inside, she felt what they felt. "It doesn't make it right."

Nightwing stood over her, his height casting a slight darkness over her. 

"We need you."

She sighed because she knew that he was right. He always was. 

"I know," she whispered. Me'gann closed her eyes and envisioned the white figures she saw on the battlefield. Her black costume transformed into a white armor that covered her whole body while a hood covered her face.

The team sprung into action, gathering the armor from the deceased assassins on the battlefield. None of them fit, but it was the best the team could do.

Nightwing looked around at the white crowd before him. 

"And there's one more thing," the team made a circle in the hiding place. "See this figure?" He pulled up a satellite image of a giant ball of green light. Everyone nodded. "It's their weapon, the thing they're using to wipe us out." Nightwing scrolled through more images. "See these? One has a figure of fire, and if you zoom in, you can see a girl with swords coming out of her wrists. Sound familiar?"

Everyone was quiet until Superboy said, "Didn't some old League members have those powers. Those abilities?"

"Exactly. This girl creates what she's seen."

"So we don't let her see us." Morale began to increase at Superboy's comment.

"Exactly," Nightwing paused, "but considering the damage she's done, she probably already knows our abilities."

"Then what do we do?"

"Remember that android that Ivo made? It had similar properties."

"Yeah. It was dismantled. Are you saying we'll have to ki-"

Nightwing interrupted, "No. We just have to get her unconscious so we can get rid of the part that makes her powerful."

"Easier said than done," Impulse retorted.

"Move out," Nightwing replied. He began to lead his team away from the others, but could sense the fear growing again. "We can do this," he managed to say as the group prepared themselves for the biggest threat they'd ever faced. He meant what he said, but whether it was true was a different story. 

Swiftly, the team scattered away from their hiding place and ran into the grey smoke. Nightwing was left alone for a small moment. He looked toward the sky and embraced hollowness. 

"This is for you dad."

******

Amanda gave up on escaping her restraints. She just sat still, waiting, praying for the Commander to kill her. Amanda closed her eyes. 

How did you get here? You had so much going for you.

She looked down at her thin frame. They made her this way. The armor seemed to have given her strength when she was around him. 

He made you this way.

Amanda took an ashy breath in and dismissed her roaming thoughts. She wanted her old life back more than she could say. She regretted joining the Complex.

Amanda's eyes darted to her left when she heard the snap of something. Her senses heightened, secretly hoping the Commander was near. "Who's there?"

Silence.

"Commander?" She swallowed. Amanda froze when she felt a bony finger trace the outline of her jaw.

And then she felt a woman's dry, cracked lips brush against her ear. A hollow whisper was spoken in a woman's voice.

 "I'm worse than the Commander."

Amanda gathered the courage to look over at who was speaking. She felt a cold sensation wash over her.

The woman wore a black cloak that covered her from head to toe, and the hood covered most of her face. The only thing Amanda could see was the figures mouth and a glimpse of curly blonde hair.

"Who are you?" Amanda questioned as the woman broke her restraints.

"Come with me." 

Amanda stood up and followed nervously. 

"But who are you?" Amanda asked again.

 "I am Madame Vestra."