Fast as Lightning - Part Two

I always thought that Flash was one of the most powerful members of the League. From what I studied, his speed was unmatched and always grew faster. His fighting style was unique because it didn't resemble any martial arts training and he changed moves frequently so an enemy couldn't track them. Even though his personality and costume made his power look dull, I knew he was more powerful than I thought. I knew I couldn't underestimate him.

He looked surprised to see us. To see me. His eyes scanned over us with a clear resentment as his face longed to help Diana.

The voice echoed with a bitterness. What are you going to do with him? I say you should give him the most painful death.

I swallowed. The Commander was here to watch how I handled him. My loyalty could not be questioned.

I don't know.

I think you do know. You just don't want anyone to see what you'll do.

I don't want to kill him.

You keep saying that. You still do it.

I don't know.

I really was tired of fighting. That was the truth. I was tired of killing the good guys, but I didn't know what else to do. Should I just wait to have a bullet be put into my head? By the Commander? The father who I thought cared.

You're right he doesn't care.

You don't know anything. You're just a vile little voice that hasn't done anything for me.

I gathered myself. I had to show them both that I was highly trained. I had to show the Commander that I was the weapon he always wanted. I looked toward the Commander. He gave me a sideways glance. "Well?"

Well what? I asked in my head. I looked away and focused on Flash. You're so stupid for thinking about this. Just do as he says.

"Yes, Commander."

******

Flash eyed both of the hidden figures carefully. They were hiding themselves in the shadows. He cleared his throat to clear his nerves.

"What is it with you people with the whole dark and light thing?"

Flash lowered his stance as Tempest moved forward. She walked with a slow grace. She entered the moonlight and tilted her head.

"Would you prefer an instant death, or a painful death?" Her voice was calm and low.

"I would prefer to live, thank you very much." Flash gathered his feet and prepared to run. He could tell her speech meant that she was going to strike.

She watched Flash steadily as the long swords grew from her wrists again. She bent her knees and raised her chin.

"What a pity. I would have enjoyed your torture," and with that she leapt toward Flash, aligning her swords with Flash's skull.

Flash's eyes widened as he saw her leap. She was quick, but he knew he was quicker. Flash dived to the side as her swords sparked against the ground. Flash threw himself near a piece of sheet metal from what he presumed was from plane wreckage. His breath quickened as he threw it at her.

"Take that stormy!"

Tempest let out a gasp as the piece of sheet metal whistled its way toward her. Her eyes widened as its speed doubled. Before she knew it, the piece of scrap metal hit her gut and she was forced backward. Tempest stumbled and laid hand on her gut. When she drew it away her hand was covered in blood. Don't underestimate him. She put her hand back over her wound and focused on healing herself while thinking about Flash's accelerated generation. Don't underestimate him.

Tempest looked around for a moment before she could steady her vision on Flash. When she finally found him she gave a yell and threw one of her silver swords toward him, another one soon grew in its place. "Didn't anyone ever tell you that it's rude to hit a girl?"

"You think you're a girl when you look in the mirror?"

Flash ducked as the sword clattered on the ground behind him. Come on Barry, think. She's distracting you. Focus!

Flash looked around and found Diana. The monster of her. She was struggling against a chain leash that was wrapped around her neck. His eyes followed the chain and found that the other figure was holding it. A man. Bingo.

Flash ran toward the figure and tightened his fist. The man didn't even flinch as Flash's blur grew near. "Lights out buddy."

Flash was about to punch the man when he was suddenly tackled from the side. He grunted as he fell. He moved his head to the side as he heard a snarling and growling sound in his ear.

Diana.

Flash grabbed what he thought was Diana's front arms and began to wrestle. The two figures rolled on the cold cobblestones as they tried to over power each other. "Diana! I know you're in there!"

The creature only snarled and snapped at his face. Flash was pinned to the ground as foamy saliva dripped onto him. Flash finally gathered up the strength to push the creature off of him. The monster fell next to Flash and let out a whine. The chain was still on its neck.

Flash lunged toward the chain. He was about to reach it when he felt a crack in his spine. He yelled in pain as he laid motionless on the ground. He couldn't move. His eyes darted back and forth as he looked for a way to escape. A slow shadow crept into his line of sight as he heard a low, ruff voice speak. He thought it was the male figure.

"Well, that wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be."

Flash heard footsteps and the clinking of the chain. Fear grew in Flash's stomach as he heard Tempest's footsteps trail behind the male figure.

"I thought he was going to put up more of a fight."

Flash choked on his words, "You won't win."

Tempest laughed. "It isn't obvious? We thought you were smarter than that." Flash heard a slap and Tempest was silent.

The male spoke again. "Well, I'm afraid I have to cut this meeting short. Goodbye, Flash."

Flash felt himself rise in the air. He was being levitated by Tempest, but something was different. He could see her cheek was red underneath her mask.

The slap he heard.

"If this is about the girl comment I-"

"It's over."

"Wait, Tempest. We can help you," Flash struggled to get the words out, "we can get rid of him."

Tempest paused, but only felt agitated by his words.

"You don't know anything!" Tempest raised her hand in the air and forced it down. Flash was thrown into the ground. He yelled as she grew another sword and jumped on top of him. She began to stab him in the back over and over again. She screamed in frustration as blood covered her hands, face, and suit. She slowed and stopped.

So you really are a monster?

Tempest snapped herself out of her panic and stood over Flash's body. She levitated him onto the pile of lost heroes. Green Lantern and Black Canary looked peaceful as they rested there. She gently placed Flash over them. He was face down. Guiltily, she flipped him over to see that his eyes were open. They looked frightened. They looked noble. They were as fast as lightning.

Tempest closed them and whispered in his ear.

 "No one can get rid of him." 

She turned away from the heroes and flew into the sky, searching for the father she impressed.