Jelapose: All is Fair in Love and War - Part Two

Juliane had laid in the pile of rubble for hours, trying to block out the burns and pain she felt pulsing throughout her body. Her muscles would randomly spasm, reopening her healing wounds. She wanted to fall into the warm sleep she felt pulling at her eyelids, but she knew that death would take her and she had too much to live for.

She tried to lift her head enough to see her surroundings, but the vision from one of her eyes was black. She couldn't see. She gasped in surprise and began to tear up. Am I an ugly witch now? What will happen to me?

Juliane's other eye darted around the scene. All she could see was the carnage the giant robots left behind. The square was silent, but you could tell that more than a few lives had been taken. Trees and bushes had been ripped to shreds so that their carcasses were thrown anywhere that wasn't already broken. The ground was cracked and split into millions of giant pieces. The hall had been reduced to a simple pile of rubble and the broken fountain spilled water onto the ground, creating a dusty, gray puddle.

Juliane moved her aching head to her body, trying to brace herself for what she might see. She left out a moan as she saw giant electricity cords wrapped around her legs and her arms, creating thin red lines that pulled open her skin. She screamed at the horror of herself. No one would look at her the same. What will happen to my daughter? What will happen to my sweet little angel?

Juliane tried to move, tried to slowly climb her way out of the rubble, but failed as the wires cut even deeper into her skin. Everything stung, ached, and bled. She swallowed. Her mouth was dry and tasted like copper. She relaxed her head on the ground as her tears began to overwhelm her.

"Help!" She coughed. "Somebody! Anybody! Just get me out of here!" She closed her eyes and kept screaming, begging. "Have mercy!"

Her screaming finally stopped when her throat was rubbed raw, dry, and bloody. Her eyes began to droop and her remaining vision slowly faded to blackness. Juliane's heart slowed as her muscles began to relax. A warm bright light soothed her senses as her face began to tingle. Her hands fell from her abdomen as her mind stopped thinking and her ears continued to ring a high pitched note.

Then suddenly, a warmth was caressing her face and patting her cheeks. The ringing gave way to a low murmur as she forced her eye to squint open. The figure grew more clear as her eye opened further. The light blurred together to make a large shadowy figure. The voice grew more clear as she focused intensely on the sound and on the figure.

It soon became clear that a man was dressed head to toe in black and was gripping his dark mask in one of his hands. His presence seemed to demand attention and silence as his words grew louder in her ears. He had dark hair. The same kind that her husband had. The man had the same pitched voice.

She coughed and almost choked on the blood. "Wh-Who are," she coughed again and the man was by her face cupping it in his hands.

"Shh, my darling. Don't talk. You'll make it worse." The man's eyes darted around them as he held Juliane close. He could hear sirens, and police cars racing to the scene. "It's me. Your Lyle."

Juliane's eyes blinked as she forced herself to stay conscious. "My-My dearest Lyle Kane." She coughed and her mouth spat blood over Kane's face.

He didn't cringe, but only wiped it away from his eyes. "I'm here, Honey." Lyle's eyes began to grow teary as he saw his only love begin to die and drift away in front of him. He glanced down at her abdomen and placed his gloved hand there.

Juliane moaned as she followed his gaze there. "Wh-Why are y-you all in black?" She had to force the words out as the darkness began playing tug of war with her. "T-Tell me."