Like Father Like Daughter

My hands were shaking as I fell onto my knees to a white floor. Looking around I saw blood everywhere: on my hands, my boots, my legs. I could even feel the ends of my hair clumping together because of it. The floor was smeared with maroon, and the white walls that reflected a harsh light moments before, now reflected a purple hue onto everything I saw. 

Why did I do this? 

You should have stopped.

I released a scoff. There are so many things I should have done, but didn't.

It's too late now you know.

For what?

For you.

I know what I want. The voice in my head was a constant battle now. It's denial of the truth always tries to take my focus away from what I'm doing. It wants power and control over the power I have. It constantly bombards my head with noise and makes me weak. Be quiet. 

I don't think you do. The voice retorts faster each time I acknowledge it.

Oh please, I just won the fight.

Against who? The ones who saved the Earth that you wanted to rule time and time again?

I can save it.

Can you? You can't even save yourself.

I can.

Then why don't you tell that to your precious father who beat you to a pulp. More than once I might add.

We are angels, guardians of heaven, and we will-

Reshape the Earth. I know. But ask yourself, what are you shaping the world into?

*******

I awoke from my slumber with a jostle to my shoulder. I looked to see the Commander's raven eyes staring at me.

"You flinched."

"I'm sorry, Commander."

"Are you?" He squinted his eyes even further. "Now is not the time for those actions. We're on the brink of war." He gestured out the front window. Without looking at me he spoke to me again, keeping his stoic demeanor. "Tell me, Tempest, why do you think I chose you to be the one who carries weapons on your wrists?" His voice was monotone.

I took a breath. I mustn't fear him. "Because you needed me," I said without thinking.

He was silent. It was partly true. Without me he wouldn't be here. Though, a part of me thinks he wants me here because I remind him of mother.

"Wrong." He grabbed my wrist and squeezed. "I changed you because this is a warrior's world and you make me a better warrior. When all fire is focused on you, I can rise up and win." He threw my wrist back at me.

I took a deep breath. "Of course, Commander."

He ignored me and looked at his new second, Amanda. "How long?"

Amanda was at the front of the ship, standing at a console, telling the other soldiers what to do and piloting our ship. She didn't show fear for the Commander like Macho did, or the other leaders for the matter. She looked like a true follower that would die in the end for his cause. "Ten minutes, sir."

The Commander smiled and stood up from his throne that sat against the back wall. Everyone at the consoles surrounding the walls faced him and placed their arms square to their sides as a salute. 

He cleared his throat. "Signal the other ships to begin descent and begin a video message." Amanda nodded and turned her back to him to pull up a screen that showed all of our ship's communication decks. Soldiers readied their salute, but I could tell that they were also afraid of him by their eyes. 

He controls through intimidation. He's a dictator and you follow him?

Stop it. I'm not listening.

The Commander cleared his throat. He gave them his undoubtable smile. 

"In ten minutes time, we will begin the war that has been brewing for decades. Fifteen years ago, I had the same war. I lost. However, I lost in hopes of gaining some insight on our enemies." 

He looked around. Everyone looked entranced. It was like his voice was mind control to them. "I learned much knowledge about the League and so much about their power through my defeat. That's what I shared with you earlier. Through careful studies over the years, we know their secrets, their powers, and their weaknesses.  In order to win, we must exploit their weaknesses. And their biggest one is the loyalty they have for each other. Exploit it, use it, and they will fall."

He had a way with words. He made people want to follow even though they didn't quite understand what they were following. 

But I knew my father had no interest in protecting me. His speech about how I would make him the best warrior only made me realize that he wanted me to be expendable. He gave me the powers so that I would take the damage of this fight. He didn't care if I lived and he hoped I would become a martyr for him. He would use my death as a way to show others he had emotions and a sense of justice, though he had none of those things. 

But I couldn't let him do that to me. I had to show him that I'm worth saving. I raised my fist in the air and smiled brightly. Just like father.

"Heaven looks down upon the innocent!" The soldiers stared at me for a moment and then looked at father. They needed his approval. He gave a slight nod and then they followed suit in a chant. "And Heaven support's the mighty!"

He turned his back to the screens. His face was cold and hard as he sat back down in his chair, fists clenching the sides. "I wasn't finished." His comment was aimed at me.

I stood taller, but looked down. I knew I should say something, but I held my tongue. 

"Remember your place." He whispered to me.

"Yes, Commander," I said.

He'll kill you soon.

Let him try.