I look at the clock by my mirror and swallow hard. I've left home for too long and I've left my city when it needed me most. How could I do it? I always told myself I wouldn't run, that I'd endure and do my best to help my fellow citizens. That's why I went into criminal justice reform and studied psychology in university; to help people and keep Gotham from collapsing in on itself.

"Hello, Ronnie? Still there?" Jim asks cautiously.

"Send me everything you have. I'll do some research." I say abruptly, turning off my almost overflowing tub and going into my closet; grabbing my suitcase.

"Really? Ronnie, this is going to be a while...are you sure you're ready to do this-"

"-then I guess you'd better start sending that info over, then. I'll talk to you sooner than you think."

*

I stood lax in front of my old home, my suitcases on either side of me. I didn't call or give a heads up that I'd be showing up, I just knew I had to come. I feel like I've been gone for more than 4 years, like I'm returning to finished some unfinished business after being gone for 20 years plus.

I begin to make my way towards the large marble steps, climbing them with ease with my suitcases clambering behind me. I ring the bell once and wait for a response but get none. I ring the bell two times and wait. I become frustrated when no one answers, so I begin to bang on the door with frustration-my closed fist doing more damaged than deemed necessary.

The door swings open a minute into my assault on the oak door, revealing a surprised Alfred. His face turns from annoyed to pure bliss when he sees me. My fist in the air, ready to slam once more on the door before it was opened; created a comical scene as I stood there in front of him.

"Well, I am so glad to see you."

I lowered my fist and cleared my throat.

"I've missed you too, Alfred." I say, walking into the open space after giving him a hug.

I ignored him when he asked to carry my suitcases, giving him a smirk and firm shake of my head.

"Where's the senior citizen?" I ask humorously and Alfred frowns.

"Now, Veronica. Your father is not in the best of mood or condition. Especially with tonight's affair." He speaks solemnly and I squint my eyes at him.

"He's been away for 4 years...what party is he having?" I ask, sarcasm laced in my slicing tone.

"It's for Harvey. A gathering in memory of Harvey Dent."

I quickly regret being sarcastic again as I look down at my twisting fingers. I let out a low "oh" and shift my weight from one foot to another.

"It seems you came at a perfect time. With that, what brings you back home, Miss.Wayne?"

I look at Alfred and sigh.

"Work. Jim called me."

Alfred begins to walk down the hall again and I follow him to the kitchen where I sit down at the table.

"He has requested your expertise, I presume?" He asks as he grabs a tea kettle and sets us up for some fresh tea.

"Kind of. He told me of Harvey's passing and how the Batman retired." I say casually, making Alfred stumble with the ceramic mugs he was placing on the tray. I fold my hands in front of me and look at him.