twenty-three

It was a little over a month later, and everything was going well. Cassie knows that I'm pregnant and is beyond excited, every doctor's appointment has showed that the baby is healthy, and Axl and I have never been closer.

I was in the kitchen with Kiyoko and she was showing me how to become good at cooking. Kiyoko and I had spent the day baking Christmas cookies and now we're preparing a nice dinner for Axl.

"Mr. Rose will appreciate your dinner," Kiyoko told me.

"But you did most of the work, Kiyoko. I'm just learning from you," I said.

"You learn quick, Ms. Laura," She smiled, "When will Mr. Rose be home?"

I glanced at the clock. Axl was at band practice because he had come up with some new song idea. He said he'd be back around this time.

"He should be here any minute," I told Kiyoko.

"Set the table while I finish dinner, Ms. Laura," Kiyoko told me.

"Okay," I said, rinsing my hands off in the sink and drying them on my shirt.

I set out two plates and silverware for Axl and I. Soon, Kiyoko came into the dining room with a cart that she kept her food on. She put them on the plates and just at the right time, we heard the front door open.

"Mr. Rose is home. I'll leave you two alone, now," Kiyoko said in a whisper.

"Thank you, Kiyoko," I said.

"No problem, Ms. Laura," She smiled as she walked back into the kitchen with the cart.

I turned my head to see Axl walk into the dining room. His eyes widened at the sight of the food and I smiled.

"Hungry?" I asked him.

"After a practice like that, I'm starving," He said, sitting across from me.

"Did you make this?" Axl asked, taking a bite of the food.

"Well, it was mostly Kiyoko, but I helped a little," I shrugged.

"What else did you do today?" He asked.

"I made Christmas cookies since it's December, you know," I told him.

Axl nodded. "You know, we could pull out the Christmas tree tomorrow," He said.

"Do you have many decorations?" I asked.

Axl shook his head. "Not too many. Maybe we should go shopping for some," He suggested.

"That sounds fun," I agreed, "So how was practice? What made you so hungry?"

Axl took a sip of his drink and set it down. He sighed. "Izzy's leaving the band," Axl said plainly.

"What? I thought you meant that in a good way," I said.

Axl shook his head. "It was a good rehearsal until Izzy told us that he was done," Axl said.

"What are you going to do?" I asked him.

Axl just shrugged. "Find a new guitarist, I guess," He said.

"Also, that Sarah girl that Izzy was with, yeah, the broke up," Axl told me.

"Really? I haven't talked to Sarah recently. I'm going to call her after dinner," I told him.

Axl shook his head. "Don't," He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because as much as I hate to say this right now, Izzy wasn't the bad guy in the relationship. It was Sarah," He said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Sarah had an affair going on with someone else. She's not the person she built herself up to be. According to Izzy she was actually really mean," Axl said.

I shook my head. "I don't know if I believe that," I said.

"You want me to call up my former bandmate so you can talk to him? Let him give you his story?" Axl asked in a slightly louder voice.

I looked down. "You know, Axl, you're getting a little loud," I told him, "And I thought you were done with Izzy. Now you're just defending him?"

"I'm not defending anyone! I was just telling you that Izzy isn't the bad guy, Sarah is! So, don't call her up and be all buddy-buddy with her, okay!" He told me.

I shook my head at him. "Why are you yelling at me? Why the hell are we even arguing about this?" I yelled back to him.

"Because you wanted to know!" He shouted.

"I simply just asked a question. I didn't ask for this!" I yelled at him, standing up.

I turned around and walked out of the room. I went right up to our room and slammed the door shut. I went outside onto to balcony to think. I leaned forward against the railing and listened to the waves and watched the sunset over the ocean, trying to calm myself down.

Then, I heard the door open and I forced myself to stay staring at the waves. I didn't want to look back at him, not right now. Not after that.

I heard his footsteps and then a hand on my shoulder. I slowly turned around and glared up at Axl. I shrugged his hand off of my shoulder.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," He said.

"What? Do you really think this is funny right now? Because it's not. Are you forgetting that you should be taking care of your pregnant girlfriend and not yelling at her after she makes you a nice dinner?" I snapped at him, walking back inside the bedroom.

"Laura, I know. I shouldn't have. I'm sorry. I'm just stressed out and frustrated. I've got a lot going on right now," Axl said to me.

"You know, Axl, what makes you think that I would trust you as a dad with a temper like that? The child does one small thing wrong and it scares me to know what you're going to do to them," I told him.

Axl opened his mouth to say something, but he closed it. He was at loss for words.

"Axl, you're going to have to get this whole temper thing fixed sometime in the next seven months or else you won't be in my child's life, you hear me?" I told him.

"Laura, you don't mean that. You're just mad. You know I'd never hurt our baby," Axl said.

I shook my head. "At this point I don't know that, Axl. If you want me to tell the truth, I don't know that. You need to prove it to me," I told him.

Axl nodded determinedly. "I will, Laura. I love you with all of my heart and I don't want you to leave my life," He said.

I nodded. "I don't want to leave, either, Axl, but if you don't fix something I will do what's best for me and the baby," I told him firmly.

"I understand," Axl said.

"I'm taking a shower," I told him and with that, I left the room.