seven

The next morning I had to get up to go to work at the coffee shop down the street. Cassie was asleep by the time I got home last night, but this morning she had passed my bedroom door and saw me sleeping with the purple dog, and she absolutely won't let that go.

"I think it's just so sweet that he won you a prize! He's definitely a keeper!" Cassie was saying while a scarfed down waffles.

"Cassie. It's been one date," I reminded her.

"I know, I know, I just think you guys are so cute together!" She said.

"Sure, uh huh," I said, continuing to eat my food.

"Laura?" Cassie asked.

"Yes?" I said, looking up from my food.

"Did he kiss you?" She asked.

I set my fork down a little more harsh than I should've and exclaimed, "No! Of course he didn't kiss me!"

"Why?" She whined.

"F-" I began, but Cassie cut me off.

"First date, yeah, I know," Cassie said with a sigh. I just rolled my eyes and cleaned up my mess.

"Okay, I'm off to work, Cas," I told her.

"Bye, Laura. Have fun!" She told me.

"Ha, I wish," I said and I was out the door.

I got there and immediately got sent to work. Today was abnormally busy, which was quite annoying considering I was in no mood for work. All I could think about was Axl and hanging out with him on Friday night.

Asking the same old, "Hi! What can I get for you?" And "Is that all?" In the nicest voice possible gets old after a while. There are some people that you really just want to punch in the face.

I adjusted the navy green hat on my head. The hat matches the apron I had on, which had the cafe's logo on it. The rest of my outfit was all black, because that was uniform.

"I can take who's next!" I called out.

"Hello, Laura. Didn't know you worked here," A familiar voice said making me look up.

I smiled. "Hi Axl!" I said, suddenly happy, "Yeah, I work here, anyway, what can I get you?"

"In a rush to get rid of me?" Axl asked.

"No, there's just a long line. Busy," I said, shrugging.

"Oh. Well, I'll just have a French vanilla cappuccino, if you would, m'lady," He asked.

"Sure thing," I told him and I put in the order.

"Is that it?" I asked.

"That would be it," He said.

"Alrighty," I said as he turned to walk away. I watched him as he went to go sit down.

"Laura, next customer," One of my coworkers said, nudging my elbow.

"Oh! Right," I said, snapping out of my daydream. "Next!" I called, Getting back into my working schedule.

I took the next person's order and decided I wanted to take my break now. I grabbed someone working in the back to take my place and went to go sit with Axl.

"Hello, you looked lonely," I said, seating myself.

"I thought you were busy," Axl said, pouting to the long line at the counter.

I shook my head. "Not now. I took my break so I could talk to you," I said.

"Oh, really? Am I that special?" He asked.

"Just that special," I told him, smiling.

"So, I was wondering where you wanted to eat Friday? For lunch?" Axl asked me.

I shrugged. "Doesn't matter. Wherever," I said.

"So we'll just decide depending on what mood we're in?" Axl asked.

"Yeah, we could do that," I replied.

"Man, I could really use a cigarette right now," Axl said, taking a sip of his drink.

"Hey, no smoking inside," I said, pointing at him to tease him.

"Pointing is rude, doll," He said, lowering my finger, "bet you didn't know that."

I just smiled and rolled my eyes. "Bet you didn't know smoking wasn't allowed."

"You're right, I didn't and I'm glad you told me or I would've burned this fucking place down," Axl said lowly so the crowded coffee shop couldn't hear his vulgar language.

"As an employee I'm not supposed to encourage that kind of language, you know," I said, shooting him a glare.

Axl just smirked. "Fuckity fucking fuck," He said like it was no big deal.

"Keep it down," I said through gritted teeth, making Axl roll his eyes.

"Anway, Laura, I need to get going because I have rehearsal for the concert," Axl said, standing up.

"At this odd time?" I asked him, checking my watch.

"Fashionably late," He shrugged, "see you."

He planted a gentle kiss on my forehead and left. I felt my cheeks go warm and I knew they were glowing bright red. I watched him walk out the door. He had casually just kissed me and then just left like it was nothing.

I just couldn't believe that someone liked me enough to actually kiss me.