twelve

"The water isn't that cold!" Axl said as I stood in the wet sand, letting the water reach my feet.

Axl was out in the ocean, waist deep. My teeth chattered as I stepped a little closer. My knees got splashed by a wave and I gasped.

"It's pretty cold!" I told him.

"It warms up when you get in. Come on!" He said, motioning for me to come to him.

I slowly made my way into the water, holding both of my elbows tightly because of the cold. I shivered as I got closer to Axl.

I looked up. "It looks like it might rain," I said, observing the dark clouds above.

"Not again," Axl said, looking up and biting his lip.

Then, there was a clap of thunder, making me lose my balance and fall. Axl caught me, making the both of us laugh.

"Race you to the shore?" Axl asked.

"Go!" I yelled and we were off, but Axl was obviously winning.

I swam and when I looked back, Axl was pushed down by a wave. I laughed and kept going. I made it onto the sand, and so did Axl, but I made it first.

"You win this time," Axl told me, making me smirk.

I walked over to the towel that was laying in the sand and I picked up the coverup that went over the bikini that Kiyoko had picked up for me. The coverup was a white, long sleeved dress that reached my mid thigh. I slipped in my flip flops and Axl picked up the towel.

"Want to go for a walk?" Axl asked, motioning in front of us.

"What if it starts raining?" I asked.

"Then we'll go back to my place and dry off," He answered as we walked along the wet sand.

"Look!" I said, bending down to pick up a seashell. I handed it to Axl.

"Pretty," He said, examining it, "But I see something else." He threw the towel in my arms and ran through the sand and bent over. He came back with a shiny rock.

"That's pretty, what is it?" I asked him.

"It reminds me of your eyes," He said, handing me the rock. I took it and giggled.

"Thanks," I said, "But your eyes are nicer."

There was another loud clap of thunder, making us both jump. We laughed it off and kept walking.

"Are you sure you don't want to go in? The clouds are getting darker," I warned him.

Axl just shook his head. "It'll be fine. Kiyoko might yell at us for coming in the house all wet, but it'll be fine," He said.

The two of us held hands and grinned to ourselves. We continued to walk down the beach, occasionally stopping to pick up a seashell or a rock. But, my mind suddenly went back into reality.

"Is something wrong?" Axl asked.

"I can't stay here, you know that, right," I told him.

"Can you stay tonight?" He asked me. It almost sounded like he was begging, which made me feel bad.

I frowned and shook my head. "I don't have clothes, I need to see Cassie, I have to pay my apartment's rent, I have a job," I listed, making Axl's smile fade.

"I love being here with you and i wish I could do this every day for the rest of my life, but I have other responsibilities, too, and I need to leave soon," I told him.

Axl didn't respond. He opened his mouth to sat something, but nothing came out. We both knew it would have to come to an end and we were both dreading the end, but I think something inside Axl thought I was going to stay forever.

"But you can stay forever, if you want to," He said, followed by a boom of thunder and light rain.

I sighed. "We should get inside. Actually, I think this rain is telling me I need to go home," I said.

"When will we do this again?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I have to work all the time," I told him as we walked to his house together.

"We'll figure something out. Let's just plan another date or something. Like, just a walk in the park," Axl said hopefully.

I smiled. "Just a walk in the park sounds nice. When?"

"Tuesday evening, if you're free," Axl said.

"Tuesday it is," I agreed.