seventeen

"So, I've never really been backstage at any Guns N Roses shows," Sarah told me as we were getting off of the bus to go inside.

"Really? Well, it either goes smoothly and it's laid back or it's complete chaos," I warned her.

Sarah giggled. "Sounds interesting," She said.

"Oh yeah. Just wait until you see the crowds. They get a little crazy sometimes, too," I told her.

"Well, I've heard this is a nice venue," Axl said, walking over to me and putting an arm around me.

"You haven't played here yet?" I asked.

Axl shook his head. "This is a huge arena, actually. We normally get the smaller ones. We've really hit it big time," He said, smiling.

"So, are you excited?" I asked Axl as a security guard took us inside.

"Eh. I mean, you've seen how crazy and out of hand the small crowds get and just imaging a large sold out arena that we're playing tonight," Axl said.

"Hey, I'm sure it will be fine," I said, stopping him in the hallway, "It's a big crowd and that means lots of security. They're going to enforce the rules more here. It will be fine."

Axl smiled. "You're probably right, Laura," He said.

"Now go do your sound check," I said, lightly pushing him forward.

"Hey, I'm getting there," He said, holding his hands up in defense. I smirked rolled my eyes and turned around to go find Sarah.

Sarah and I walked outside and into the audience to watch the band do their sound check since we didn't get to watch their actual performance.

"I want to talk to Izzy tonight, but I don't know how to approach him," Sarah said. Her eyes stayed glued to the band. She didn't look over at me until I began to speak.

"If it were me, I would just be very blunt with him," I told her, "Just walk up to him and tell him that you need to talk to him and that it's serious."

"What if he won't listen to me?" She asked me in a nervous voice.

"Then you deserve better," I stated.

"You're right. I deserve better, but I can't break up with him. It's only the first night of the tour," Sarah said.

"Don't break up with him until after the tour. It'll give you more chances to fix the relationship and time to think," I said.

Sarah gave me a sad, but relieved smile. "Thanks, Laura. You're smart," She said.

I shrugged. "Not really," I replied.

Later that afternoon, Sarah and I were taken backstage to watch the performance. We sat down on a sofa together and turned on the television that sat in front of us.

The band was backstage as well, but in a different room. They were changing clothes and getting ready for the show. Sarah and I watched as people slowly began filing into the arena, waiting for their favorite band to come out onto the stage.

I got up and grabbed a pack of cigarettes that have only had a few taken out of it.

"Want one?" I asked Sarah.

"No thanks, I don't smoke," She said.

"Have you ever tried it?" I asked, lighting the cigarette and putting it in my mouth. Sarah shook her head in response.

"I'm not forcing you to, but if you want to the box is right here," I said, putting it down on the coffee table.

Then, it hit me that I said I'd call Cassie. I also told Cassie that I'd take pictures, but I left the camera on the bus.

"I need a phone," I said, looking around the room.

"Maybe you should ask one of the people in the tech crew," Sarah suggested.

"Yeah. Be right back," I said, putting the cigarette into an ash tray and leaving the room.

"Excuse me!" I said to a man who was just down the hall.

"Yes?" He asked, "Are you supposed to be back here? Let me see a pass?"

I sighed and held up the pass that I was wearing around my neck. He still looked at me suspiciously.

"I'm Axl's girlfriend, yes I'm supposed to be back here," I told him.

"Fine, whatever," The man said, shrugging, "What do you need?"

"A phone," I told him.

"Right down the hall, take a left. There's a phone by the bathrooms but you'll need a few quarters," He told me.

"Thanks," I said and I quickly walked down the hallway.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out seventy-five cents. I put in two do the quarters and dialed the apartment number. The phone rang a few times, then Cassie picked up.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Cassie! It's Laura," I said.

"Hey, Laura! Enjoying the tour life so far?" She asked me in her usual, peppy voice.

"So far it's been fun. How have things been at the apartment?" I asked.

Cassie laughed. "Wow, we're acting like you've been away for weeks and not just a few hours," She said.

I laughed, too. "It already feels like weeks," I told her.

"Where are you? Are you at the concert?" Cassie asked.

"Yeah. The concerts happening right now as we speak. I just remembered to call you and went to find a phone," I told her.

"Well, it's good to know you made it there alive," Cassie said.

"Hey, I'm using a payphone and I'm running out of time, so I might have to go," I said.

"Okay, I'll talk to you soon, then. Remember to take pictures," Cassie said.

"I remember. Bye," I told her and the phone cut off.

I hung up and walked back down the hallway to the lounge room. I took my seat beside Sarah and we watched the rest of the concert together.