Learning To Be Free.

After dinner Merlin took the dishes to clean them. Gaius, noticing the distraught expression on my face, took this chance to sit down with me. Perhaps Merlin was right. Gaius may know a thing or two about my mother's necklace. But who was to say Merlin didn't put some sort of curse on it. Magic, to me, was nothing more than a story that my father told us. I never saw it firsthand and I never knew anyone to do anything good, or bad with it. So I didn't know how I should react to it.  I placed my hands on the table with urgency as I stood up.

"Am I good to leave?" I asked.

"My dear, you've barely recovered since this morning," he declared, suddenly taken aback by my desire to leave, "what is so urgent?"

"I have to get home."

"You should be resting.  You have been through quite an ordeal."

I pulled the necklace from my pocket. My hand extended it toward him.  His hand took the amulet into his hand as he examined it carefully.  He had a great look of concern on his face.

"Did you steal this from the bandits?" he asked.

"No.  What is it?"

"I haven't seen this in years.  How did you come upon this?"

"My mother gave it to me before she passed."

"The sorceress this belonged to was the last of a very strong line of sorceresses.  Who would have thought she escaped the Great Purge and settled in the country?  They said she was killed. But I'm not surprised she managed to escape." He looked nostalgic for a moment. But then his eyes lifted to mine wearing a more solemn look. "If you really are her child. Then you've been blessed with the gift of magic."

"Blessed?  You think something that would get you killed is a blessing?  I don't even know why I asked you."

I took the necklace back. Before shoving it into my pocket I looked at it.  If she could have used magic she could have saved herself that day.  She could have saved me.  What he said couldn't be true.  I headed toward the door. Not knowing Merlin was outside the door listening, I paused.

"I know his secret Gaius.  If you know so much about magic it's safe to assume you may share the same gift also."

"I don't know what you are referring to."

"Merlin. I know about him and his blessing, as you called it."

"What are you going to do?"

"I have no reason to say anything about that.  I don't know what kind of man he is. But if he puts any of us in danger when they take me home, I will not hesitate to speak up."

"Where are you going now?" Gaius asked, standing from his seat.

"To get some fresh air."

"You should wait for Merlin so you don't get lost."

I opened the door and walked outside. As I turned I bumped right into Merlin.  He was clearly listening in on our conversation. I looked up at him, he feigned a smile.

"Do you want some company on your walk?" he offered pleasantly.

I walked past him quietly.  There wasn't much I could say to him that he hadn't already heard. His head turned as I hurried down the stairs. Gaius pulled the door open to find Merlin standing there.

"Really, Merlin?" Gaius asked with exasperation in his words.

"Didn't seem like an opportune moment to interrupt you two."