xix

Toss some confetti in the air

And Celebrate

"Billie, hey. Come on, we need to go somewhere". "What"? Billie blinks her eyes open, looking up at a blurry Nate. "What Nate"? "Come on. We need to go somewhere". "Why"? "Just come on". She stands and slides on her bright purple slippers that have yet to be used and follows behind him. "Is something wrong"? "No. Just come on". She lets him pull her up to the roof and sits next to him, leaning tiredly against his shoulder. "Why did you call me out here". "Sh. Look".

She smiles at the sight of the butterflies and watches as they flutter about the mansion. "They're so beautiful". "Don't tell anyone I let you out here". "I won't. Swear it. We can go inside". "No. I wanted you to see this. We can stay a bit longer". "Come on Nate. It's cold out anyway". "Come on. Just wait a little while longer. They never come out in the winter". "We can come back. I swear it". "Ok ok. Buzz kill". He helps her back into the mansion and walks her down to the kitchen.

"What time is it"? "Only three". "Don't you think he should be home by now"? "No. Not at all". At his laugh, Billie lifts a brow and glares from her spot on the kitchen counter. "What do you know that I don't"? "Nothing". Liar. "Just business as usual".

As Nathaniel begins seasoning fish (at Billie's request) he notices two butterflies that wondered in. He knows they followed Billie in. He knows why too. They're following the light.

"Nate look". Billie smiles at the two butterflies that landed on her fingers and pets their wings as if they were loyal pets. "They're so pretty".

And that would be the light. The one that anything with eyes could see. Even the small butterflies. "Wow. I've never seen them act like this. Look at them Nate". She smiles as one flutters on the tip of her nose, it's wings continuously flapping against her eyelashes. "I think it likes you. That or it's pissing on your face as we speak". "You're sick".

Billie's giggle fills the air until the door slams and steps shuffle into the kitchen. "Nate get a ra-. Oh shit". Billie screeches at the sight of her beloved, her feet traveling to him before he can tell her not to worry. "My god Daddy your face"!

Joker settles in the chair, sighing with a roll of his eyes as Billie sits on the table in front of him

Joker settles in the chair, sighing with a roll of his eyes as Billie sits on the table in front of him. "What did you do? And you're covered in blood?! Are you hurt. Of course you are. Where? Do you need a hospital? Where is it coming from? Daddy I dunno what to do-". "Billie"! He silences her by placing his hands on either side of her face and pulling her forehead flush to his. "I'm safe baby girl. It's not my blood and it's just a bit of ash. It will wash away. I just have to shower". At her whimper he stands and pulls her into his embrace. "I'm okay baby. We're okay. There's nothing to worry about. Just like I promised". He wipes the ash from her cheek and kisses the pout from her lips. "Come shower with me". He slides her off the table and takes her hand in his bigger one as they walk up to their bathroom.