xvii

When the devil became one with an angel

Humanity was born

When the two wake up, they say nothing about the shattered glass sprawled on the cream carpet floor. Don't mention the golden knife handle still stuck in the wall nor yesterdays incident. The two simply walk out and down the stairs to the living room. Joker sits first, Billie sitting in his lap once he's settled. They say nothing. The only sound that fills the room is the cracking of the fire.

The silence isn't awkward, just silent. Its comfortable. That is until Billie runs to the toilet to puke. Joker follows after her, comforting her as she finishes. "Doctor's gonna be here in an hour".  "Don't need-". "I believe we said you weren't gonna intrude. Right"? "Yeah but-". "But nothing. Go brush your teeth and don't step in any glass". Billie huffs before walking away to follow orders.

Now, it's not that the two have fully forgiven each other. Billie still believes he's changed and Joker believes it's simply her fault. But who's to say they're both wrong?  He watches as she comes back down and settles into his lap with a sweet sigh. "Do you think I'm okay"? "You're probably fine. It'll work itself out. Just need a check up. People don't vomit out of no where. It isn't natural. You did have a tracker in you. When those things break they release a virus. A virus you might have". "And if I do have the virus? What then"? "Nothing. Floyd gave you the shot, you should be fine. It'll probably just pass". Billie nods against his chest, borrowing further into it to access the  warmth radiating from it. "Go change". "Into what"? "Just put on some shorts".

As Billie settles into his lap for the final time, she gives him a look. It looks like confusion and nostalgia mixed into one. "I liked it better when you picked out clothes for me". "Didn't you find them skimpy"? Billie shrugs, tracing his tattoos with that same look on her face. "Still liked it". "Maybe I'll pick it up again". "Will you be rough with me again"? "Is that what you want"? At Billie's nod he kisses her head, a smirk playing on his face. "You still like that", he chuckles. "A lot", she whispers. Before he can lean down and kiss her, a fist is pounding on the door. "Fuck". Joker stands and sets Billie in the chair.

"Doc".

"Jay". "She's in the livingroom". The two walk to the blanket covered girl, both giving her a once over. "I think we should be left alone". "I think you wanna be shot". "It was just a suggestion". Joker looks down to Billie, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes hard. "Baby, you have my permission to kill him if he tries anything. There's a gun in the top drawer and I'll be on the other side of the door if you need me to blow his brains onto the wall". Billie nods, accepting the passionate kiss he leans down to give her. "Don't take too long. I'm not a very patient man". "You got it".

Joker walks out, leaving Billie with the Doctors lingering eyes. "Can we get this over with"? "Yeah Yeah Princess". "Don't call me that. Ever". "You got it". He goes through the routine of checking her blood pressure as well as her temperature and weight. He begins asking questions, none of which are very comfortable. "How long have you been throwing up"? "Few weeks". "And is it food that's coming up or acid"? "Food". "Okay is it a few times a day"? "Yeah". "When's the last time you had your menstrual cycle"? "Uh... like a month ago". "When are you due"? Billie stays quiet for a moment, her eyes trailing to the fire place with unshed tears. "A week ago". "A week? Okay. When's the last time you had sex"? "I'm not comfortable answering that". "Okay. Tell me, was it a long time ago or short time ago"? "Short". "Okay, do you mind if I do an ultra sound"? "I do actually". The doctor sighs, shaking his head with an annoyed grimace. "I need to check just in case there's something wrong in your stomach". "Maybe I don't want you to". "Please don't make this difficult. Just let me check". With an eye roll and a slump of her shoulders, Billie agrees. "Fine. But I want my friend in here when you do". "Fine, let me go get it".