12:39ᴘᴍ

«  life is not a solo act. It's a huge collaboration, and we all need to assemble around us the people who care about us and support us in times of strife. »
-Tim Gunn-

█████████████████████

chapter twelve

CHANGE CAN HAPPEN so very quickly. So fast that it happens before you even realize it's happening.

⠀⠀⠀That was what was occurring to me right now. I didn't realize that somehow in the past week my life had turned into a whole other experience. What it once was is definitely not what it is now.

⠀⠀⠀I think I was just too oblivious to the fact that change happens. And there isn't anything you can do to stop it. I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't realize my potential future path had been redirected.

⠀⠀⠀And I don't do caught up in the moment.

⠀⠀⠀I like to have things planned, structured, I like to know how things are going to play out. I didn't like probability unless I was certain.

⠀⠀⠀and so you could simply imagine how frustrating it was for me to find out that I have absolutely no idea what the heck was going on in my life right now.

⠀⠀⠀I woke up this morning incredibly confused. Just yesterday, everything was fine between me and Mason, but me and Miles were going through a bit of a turbulence. Now, waking up today I realize those scenarios flipped 180°.

⠀⠀⠀I poured myself another cup of coffee. Clearly the three I had before wasn't enough to clear my head of the chaos within it.

⠀⠀⠀Just as I take my first sip, I see my mothers figure coming down the stairs.

⠀⠀⠀"hello, flower. How have you been?"

⠀⠀⠀She says it as if she was a cousin that I see once a year whenever it's convenient. We lose chunks of time with each other because she's always picking up shifts, and if she's home, she's usually asleep. It sucks. But at the same, I'm grateful to be the daughter of a woman who works so hard to achieve her goals.

⠀⠀⠀"in all honestly, I've seen better days. But tell me about you. There's something about your aura that seems different... you look... content?"

⠀⠀⠀contentment was a look my mother never possessed.

⠀⠀⠀"well, there is something that I've been meaning to tell you. I just haven't found the time,"

⠀⠀⠀I take a seat on the island stool, preparing myself for what she was about to say. I grip my mug with both hands and allow the warmth to sooth my sudden goosebumps.

⠀⠀⠀clearly it couldn't be bad news since she appeared to be happier... right?

⠀⠀⠀"I've been seeing someone. And I really like where things are headed."

⠀⠀⠀I was shocked to say the least. My mom hasn't felt romantically towards anyone let alone went on a date since— well, since my dad.

⠀⠀⠀"and I know it's probably a lot for you and that you may be mad at me and—"

⠀⠀⠀I quickly interrupt her.