4:19ᴀᴍ

« You can close your eyes to reality, but not to memories. »
-Stanislaw Jerzy Lee-

█████████████████████

chapter four

NOW THIS WAS truly questionable.

⠀⠀⠀I was finally starting to comprehend the fact that the schools star football player had suddenly developed some type of weird interest in me, and for some reason, decided he wanted to help me. How any of this makes sense, I do not know.

⠀⠀⠀Ever since the... what do you even call that? I guess the only way is to be blunt and upfront about it. Ever since I walked in on my James choking my mother, she's decided she was totally fine, which she was not. She refused to press charges much to my dismay and protest. She was going against everything I stand for, everything she taught me to stand for. But it was ultimately her life and her choice and no words that I could say will change that. Even though she is making the wrong call.

⠀⠀⠀She has been acting normal ever since she went back to work yesterday which is anything but normal. Being hurt by James isn't something one just ups and gets over. I should know.

⠀⠀⠀"Braylee? anyone there?"

⠀⠀⠀Realization dawns on me as my brain comes back to reality. My head snaps in his direction and I look into the green eyes that were already looking at me, full of curiosity. I remove the pen from between my teeth and look down at my page. My blank page.

⠀⠀⠀"I didn't think the question was that hard to solve. If you want to start at something easier we—"

⠀⠀⠀I quickly cut him off my shaking my head.

⠀⠀⠀"no, no it's not the math. Well it is the math— I despise math —but that's not what I mean."

⠀⠀⠀He looks at me with amusement and I run my hands down my face and settle it in my palms with my elbows resting one the edge of the table. I take a deep breath before regaining eye contact with him.

⠀⠀⠀"Sorry. I really appreciate the help but I always have a hard time staying focused. My ADHD is really bad when it comes to math. It's not like that with any other subjects... mostly— but math is just horrid"

⠀⠀⠀He nods in understanding. What I said wasn't a complete lie but it wasn't the whole truth. I've learned to live life that way. I don't like to lie but sometimes you just aren't ready to tell some strange football player your deepest darkest secrets after only knowing him personally for a few days.

⠀⠀⠀"understandable."

⠀⠀⠀He opens his mouth to speak again.

⠀⠀⠀"what if we tried something different?"

⠀⠀⠀I look at him in confusion.

⠀⠀⠀"uh, no offence but I don't really need any help in my other courses."

⠀⠀⠀He smiles and shakes his head.

⠀⠀⠀"That's not what I mean, Braylee."

⠀⠀⠀I arch a brow and wait for him to continue.