8:52ᴀᴍ

« sometimes the more you get to know someone, the more attractive they become. »
-unknown-

█████████████████████

chapter eight

IT WAS IN my best interests to ignore what I saw and just go home and sleep.

⠀⠀⠀But upon telling myself to do exactly that, I realize that it was physically impossible. I couldn't just peacefully sleep knowing I saw what I saw, and not doing anything about it. The victims in this situation where two people I actually cared for, and not telling them really isn't that simple of a choice to make.

⠀⠀⠀And so, here I was. Sitting on the edge of my bed, my head in my hands, contemplating my options— which were very limited. Either I tell Mason and Amanda, or I don't. It was perfectly simple yet extremely complicated at the exact same time.

⠀⠀⠀I had I choice, but I didn't. And thinking about it made my head want to explode. Usually things seemed pretty simple, whether or not I should do something. I always had things planned out and I always knew what I should do. But in this case, it was totally unexpected and I was thrown an opportunity and I wasn't sure if I should run with it or walk away.

⠀⠀⠀My deliberate pondering and the repetitiveness of my head banging against my pillow was abruptly put to a halt when my phone began ringing.

⠀⠀⠀it had been exactly fifty two minutes since I hung up on Mason, and this was the first time his caller ID showed itself on my screen.

⠀⠀⠀I didn't know what to do, but I picked up the phone nonetheless. Not expecting to hear what he was going to say to me.

⠀⠀⠀"Braylee."

⠀⠀⠀I gulp.

⠀⠀⠀"Mason."

⠀⠀⠀"I had no one else to call..."

⠀⠀⠀Something in his voice was telling me he was implying that he was saying more without actually saying it.

⠀⠀⠀"Mason look—"

⠀⠀⠀"can you come over? I need you here."

⠀⠀⠀"But—"

⠀⠀⠀"please, Braylee."

⠀⠀⠀And with that, he hung up the phone.

⠀⠀⠀I don't know what it was about that phone call but something in me made me get up and pick up my bag that I previously discarded on my floor.

⠀⠀⠀And somehow, twenty minutes later I found myself on Mason Coles front porch ringing the doorbell.

⠀⠀⠀I shuffled in my place, it felt really awkward to be here for some reason. I've never been to his house before and only saw it once when he drove me home and pointed it out on the way to my house.

⠀⠀⠀It was huge. And that sole fact made it incredibly intimidating. I knew Mason had a lot of money but he was pretty humble about it at least from what I've experienced. But his house was just on another level. It sat at the top of a hill on a crescent and was by far the biggest on the whole road.