Winter

Every now and then I would sneak away from my home and run into the forest. I would sit next to a lake and silently wait for my friend. I watched the fish swim underneath the still lake, creating waves. Above I saw the birds chirp and fly across the great blue sky. My soft white hair flowing through the wind and my blue summer dress fluttering through the grass.

But today was a weird day. The fish weren't creating waves in the lake, all the animals had mysteriously disappeared and the birds weren't flying through the sky. I felt the chilly wind run through my hair.

Then I saw my friend across the lake. He had glittering blue eyes, mysteriously bluer then the last time I saw him and he had white hair. Ryan was his name. He was a year older then me. He was also my best friend.

I was tired of seeing the exact same people back at my kingdom. Everyone had the same hair, the same eyes, the same outfits, but Ryan was different. He wasn't a frost angel, he said he was a Leon which I didn't even know a clue to what that was.

Ryan had been gone for the past few days. I sat there and waited for hours through those days and kept on giving up on the wait and leaving.

But he was finally here. He walked around the lake and ran towards me and gave me a giant hug and we fell onto the grass and laughed.

We sat on the grass and Ryan stared into my eyes. "I missed you so much Winter." Said Ryan. "Me...me too." I whispered.

"You know it's starting to become winter." Said Ryan looking into the great blue sky. "I heard. People from my kingdom have been talking about it." I said.

Ryan sighed. I could see his breath through the air. "What's the matter?" I whispered.

"I just really hate...winter." Whispered Ryan. "You remember what I am, a Leon?" I nodded. He looked very depressed. "A Leon is a creature who stays human during the summer and during the winter...they turn into a leopard."

"My people abandon their kingdom during this time and flee into the forest. They call this time the change. Leons do it so they can survive the winter but I didn't want to go with them. I want to stay with you, Winter I think I like you."

I was in shook, why was he telling me this now? I knew he was a Leon and he lived in some kingdom far north, I didn't know it involved all of this.

He held my hand tightly. "I just wanted you to be the last thing I see so that when I change back I would find you."

We walked up into the mountains. Tears were starting to fall from my eyes and Ryan was crying too. We sat on a cliff overlooking the forest and mountains beyond and the sunset.

He held me tightly and I blushed, I never felt this way before in front of a person, and of course never towards a boy. He was starting to shake and his eyes started to glow. But he was smiling towards me.

"If I shift in front of you I want you to fly back to your kingdom and never return. No I want you to never return after this day, you promise me?" I nodded. Tears were in my eyes. I was about to lose my best friend and he was probably more then that, I loved him.

We stood up as the sun started to fall behind the trees. Ryan learned toward me and gave a soft kiss on my lips which sent waves of warmth through my veins.

I never wanted to leave his side after that moment.

He then slowly walked away. I watched as he slowly shifted into a leopard. The snowflakes slowly fell from the sky. I will see you again when I'm 20, and I'll find you too Ryan.

Nine years later...

I watched as the light rose over the frozen land from my cold balcony overlooking the icy cold land. A great cold fog loomed over the icy desert. I sighed remembering the great forest that used to cover that icy land. But now I couldn't even vision it since it had been so long. I spent half of my teenage years in the kingdom doing whatever to pass my time...now summer was arising.