Chapter 9: Hide and Seek

The smell of breakfast always drifting gently through the air as he stirred. Waking up blurry eyed she was the first thing he saw.

He smiled as he watched her eat. He hushed his smiles as he didn't dare stir one bit, he loved watching her eat gently with her fingers. Sometimes she would tear a piece off with her fingers and dip it in the syrup neatly.

It was his favorite quirk about her. She'd never admit it but she was constantly eating with her fingers. She rarely used utensils but always made sure her hands were clean.

And the way she would eat with her fingers was something of an art. How anyone could eat so gingerly and vulgarly at the same time but still retain class and poise was beyond him.

Just how did she manage to create an etiquette to eating and licking her fingers?

He didn't know but this routine was starting to become a great way for his day to start.

She always chuckled to herself while she watched cartoons before getting up to make him some bacon and eggs. There was a small tension in the air, sentences and commas, whole conversations they had left unheard. Whole expressions left unuttered and that was okay because at the end of his boring fucking life all he wanted were these small insignificant moments that meant more than he could describe.

He'd wake up just in time to sit at the table with her while she sipped her tea. . . William stopped himself from obsessing and broke the peace.

"I'm going to the hanger today I have a few things I have to do. "

Tiaras head bobbed and she turned to him gave a short smile. "Sounds good. I have some stuff to do with Tiff so Ill see you later on. i made you a plate." She smiled and he smiled back at her but they left it at that too afraid of what was stirring between them.

***

The sky stretched over the vast dirt land the smells of pine and desert haze bearing down against William . His deep breathing was labored but the feeling in his chest was intoxicating.

He loved this place and fell deeper in love as the empty air licked upon his skin.

His back remained cool against the light blanket. His mind wondered. He closed his eyes and in one swift motion removed his shirt tucking it behind his head and neck. How was he going to bond with Amina?

Desperately he tried to think of how to relate to her when all he saw when he closed his eyes was Tiara's smile. Even now he could feel the tender thickness of her soft lips.

What was he going to have to do? What was he going to a have to give up to be the man he was supposed to be?

He can not love Tiara. He couldn't let his self get in the way. He wouldn't let his self get in the way.

His phone erupted. He picked it up to move from his distractions but couldn't bring himself to answer the call. As it went to voicemail but he could only stare in confusion. Why couldn't he pick up? Why was he always hesitating? Always acting just a little bit too slow, a little bit too much of something driving his actions. He just wasn't enough.

The cool glass of his phone stuck to his skin.

"Hello Son."

The small silence between whispered tales of insurrection. William missed his father and his home. He knew his father loved him in his way.

"I called to tell you I am proud of you for what you are doing. I respect a man who is true to his word. Thank you for doing this for dad. I know you are doing it for me and it fills me with such joy and gratitude and love that you could still love me enough to want to honor me even through my mistakes. You are doing this favor for me and I know how much it weighs." The recording went on and William focused affixed to his fathers words.