Hospital Visit no. 2

*Calum’s POV*

“Mummy, Daddy?” Charlie walked in, Jess was still asleep next to me, but the sun was sneaking its way through the curtains, I looked over to see the clock: 6:47.

“What’s up?” I asked, sitting up on my elbows,

“Mummy?” he walked over to her and started poking her cheek, “mummy?” he asked again.

“Charlie?” she slowly started to wake up,

“Mummy!” he yelled, jumping up onto the bed.

“Good morning to you too Charlie” she smiled, giving him a kiss on the forehead,

“Morning” I leant in to give her a quick kiss, something I thought I’d never be able to do again.

“Morning” she whispered back.

It all seemed perfect, Charlie was in the middle of the bed, with Jess right next to him, Benny still asleep in his cot right next to… wait.

---

“Can we go in and see him now?” I asked as the doctor walked out,

“Go ahead” he smiled and walked straight pass me.

Jess, holding onto Charlie’s hand, followed in after me. “He’s so small” Charlie whispered, “mummy, why is so small?”

“Because he’s fighting something that is trying to overtake him, he’s getting bigger, he’s winning” Jess sat down on a seat right next to Benny.

---

*Jess’s POV*

“I think I’ll leave you three to it?” Calum took Benny from my lap, looking at the door way,

“wha- mum?” I quickly rushed over to her, giving her a long hug, “Sarah” I hugged her as well.

“Jess, why didn’t you call? I thought you died, I got a phone call from Tim saying you were at the hospital” mum cried even harder,

“I’m sorry I just, benny, and then Calum with Charlie, and I just-” I couldn’t finish what I was saying without bursting into tears again.

“And not even a phone call?” she asked,

“Mum, I’m alive okay, I’m not dead” I pulled her into another hug, reaching over to hold hands with Sarah.

“I thought I’d never see you again” she cried, I gripped onto Sarah’s hand tighter, just wanting to give her another hug as well.

---

“So what’s happening with him now?” Mum asked, with all 6 of us in the room (Benny, Calum, Charlie, Mum, Sarah and myself).

“They’re just keeping an eye on him, after the operation on his lugs the other day, everything is important” Calum answered, “as much as we want him to come home, I think the longer he stays here the better. I mean I just want him healthy again” I grabbed hold of Calum’s hand, he squeezed mine back.

“Couldn’t imagine what the both of you went through” Sarah whispered,

“I don’t know what I would’ve done if Calum wasn’t at the house with Charlie”

“I don’t know what I would’ve done if Jess and Benny never turned up”

“I remember” my mum started saying, “when you came over for the first time Calum” she smiled, “the smile that went across both of your faces. It made me think of when I was your age back then. I thought no man would ever love me, and here I am, married, a second time yes, but seeing you two look at each other, nothing has changed.”