"You need food," I told her, dimly recalling the few days that I'd been flightless. How I'd disliked how Kronx and Rutilus had hunted for me, although I would have preferred getting my own – and soaring on the wind again. But then again, I had been flightless, and now, so was she. Before she could protest, I unfurled my wings, and hurled into the air.

Within a matter of seconds, I slowed to a halt, examining the forest. Within seconds, I pinpointed a deer, nibbling bark off one of the bigger trees, completely unaware of my presence.

And it would remain oblivious to me, until it was too late.

Expertly, I drifted forwards, careful not to make so much as a sound. Veering behind it, I gradually crept closer, refraining from beating my wings whenever possible.

Leaves tickling my stomach, I glided closer. Flexing my talons, I stared at the deer, watching as its head shot up and peered around the forest suspiciously. But it did not look up; clearly not used to having any free dragons in the area.

Without hesitation, I lunged towards it, snapping my wings against my flank. In a flurry of movement, my talons ripped at its flank, drawing blood. It squealed, thrashing and kicking in a desperate attempt to get away.

But I was strong, and I had hunted deer countless times beforehand. No matter how much it bucked, it had no hope. I tightened my grip on it, as my head snaked closer, and I grasped its neck in my jaws.

Blood soaked my tongue as I slowly squeezed my jaws shut – swiftly ending the deer's life.

Despite having eaten only a matter of hours earlier, my stomach panged in hunger. How easy it would be, to tear into the carcass and engulf it within minutes. To savour the warm and juicy blood, and gnaw at the bones until they were stark white.

Reluctantly, I refrained myself. I didn't need to eat, not like the newly freed dragons. Not like Soriak, whom was waiting for me in the fields. Waiting for me to bring back a deer.

Grasping the carcass carefully in my talons, I spread my wings. Without wasting another moment, I launched into the air, soaring towards Fehïrk.

My hunger subsided as I raced across the sky, instead replaced with a dire need to fulfil my obligation. Within a matter of seconds, I slowed to a halt, hovering above the desolate fields.

Now, they were empty. Few dragons waited among them; most having gone off to hunt themselves. Beside the large, dark building that had once been the Dragon Stables, I spotted Soriak and Rutilus, both of whom had relaxed, leaning into the blazing tree that the drake had uprooted and set alight.

Almost immediately, the pale green dragoness's eyes snapped open. Her head shot towards me, her nostrils flared as she longingly stared at the deer, unable to ignore her hunger.

Dropping the carcass in front of her, I backed away from her, giving her more space to eat.

But she did not immediately tear into the flesh, instead watching me with dark eyes. "I cannot eat this. Its yours."

I sighed, still backing away. "Its yours now."

Without giving her a chance to protest, I lumbered across the fields. From the corner of my eye, I saw her wings droop slightly as Rutilus nudged her. Only a matter of moments later, she snapped at the carcass ravenously.

"You are Argentum, yes?" A higher pitched voice spoke behind me. Automatically, I whipped my head around to face Rutilus's mother. How had I not been aware of her approaching me?

Blinking slowly, I dipped my head, examining her warily. What did she want? Why would she want to speak to me – when she could still be spending time with her son?

Seemingly satisfied, her head lowered, yet still hung high above mine. She was at least triple my size, and not as gaunt as the other newly freed dragons.

Her dark purples scales rippled in the sunlight as she leaned towards me, examining me curiously. Her scales were richer in colour than I had realised, with hints of maroon across her flank.

"Rutilus said that until you escaped, you were always here," she suddenly stated, yellow eyes bore into mine. "Hatched into immediate servitude... Did you ever see your mother?"

"Barely," I admitted, dimly recalling the first week of my life. I could not remember much; only a familiar platinum dragoness caring for me, promising that I'd one day be free. It had barely been a week before she'd disappeared, and the other dragons had stated that she was dead.

The purple dragoness dipped her head sympathetically, not needing to ask any more. Instead, she shuffled her wings, turning towards Soriak and Rutilus. "You and Rutilus are still very young to lead a wing."

Stiffening, my talons dug deeper into the earth. What was she saying? Did she think Rutilus and I would be better off cutting all ties with them – like Kronx?

"You, in particular, have very little experience of the world," she continued, either not noticing or not caring about the rising tension. "Yet most of these dragons would follow you in a heartbeat. Is it not interesting, how life works?"

Still, I said nothing. My tail coiled back and forth.

"If I were you, I'd become wing leader," she was close enough that I could feel her warm breath against my flank. "Most dragons aren't given an opportunity to. But do keep in mind that some dragons will oppose to you – even if you freed them."

Her yellow eyes blinked, watching me for a moment longer. With another blink, she sauntered towards away, watching Rutilus for a few brief seconds before taking to the air.

Strange, I shook my head, unsure what to make of Rutilus's mother as I watched her glittering form disappear into the forest. With a sigh, I approached Soriak and Rutilus again, well aware of the amusement dancing in the drake's eyes.

"Don't mind Adoria," he chuckled lightly, nodding towards the purple dragoness gliding towards the forest. "She doesn't mean any ill." 

*~*

1596 words

Drop a vote and comment if you enjoyed!

The next few days I will be fairly busy, participating in an ensemble program. I'll try to update as often as possible, but unfortunately, I can't promise that I will be able to update until around Monday.