60 - Quizzes and Comic Books

Alison was feeling particularly pathetic that grim Wednesday afternoon. She had nothing to do. Nothing. She'd finished her homework, took Pepe out, ate lunch, organized her room (and to an extent, Jason's). She even considered doing some sort of self-pity rom-com movie marathon, but when she picked up the chocolate and popcorn and licorice that would go along with Sixteen Candles, she grimaced, put everything back in the cabinet, and decided that even she wasn't that desperate.

She lazily trotted back up to her room to look for something to do. Of course, she could go running or to the gym, use her free time for something that would eventually give her satisfaction, but today, she just really didn't feel like it. Her muscles were aching from practice, anyway.

When her eyes landed on the worn-out cover of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, she almost grinned in joy, but stopped herself at the very last second. Even though there was nobody around to catch her being an overzealous school girl, you could never quite know if some freak was watching you through your window. And she wasn't giving that particular creep some stock material to laugh at.

That book had been one of her favorites ever since she first read it in the seventh grade. At the time, she had blamed it on having to do a book report, but really, she just wanted to see what the whole buzz around this book was about, and she got fascinated by it rather quickly. It continued to be her favorite even after the second, third and fourth time she had read it over the years. She grabbed it off the shelf, making herself comfortable on the bed as she opened the book on page one.

She groaned miserably and hit the book repeatedly against her forehead an hour and twenty-one minutes later once she'd finished it. Damn that book for its shortened length, she thought. It didn't suffice her. And it was only half-past six.

She sighed in despair.

Alison really yearned to call Emily, ask her if she wanted to do something or just to hear her voice or talk about nothing and everything until one in the morning, a habit that was not so uncommon for them. But Alison kept in mind that Emily had a chemistry test the following day, and she didn't want to be the reason Emily failed that test. She didn't want Emily to fail in any subject. And she knew that if the roles were reversed, Emily would selflessly do the same. Besides, if the brunette were in her position, she'd probably go jogging until her lungs burn and then come home and still have time to help her mother with grocery shopping, or call her dad, or even clean the entire house - Emily was simply productive like that.

But, Alison sighed, she didn't have a mother who went grocery shopping with her, and her father wouldn't appreciate her calling him in the midst of yet another business deal that was more important than his own family, not that she wanted to, anyway. And Jason... well, she was trying to be less needy of his company lately. He was truly an adult, after all.

She wished she could've just taken a nap. She would've, but ever since she could remember herself, she hated mid-day sleeping. Whenever she'd wake up after that, she would always have to get up to check her phone in order to make sure she hadn't slept through an entire night and woken up the next morning. She hated that feeling of haziness when she couldn't exactly know where she was or what time it was. Hence, her utter contempt for hangovers.

As she thought all of this, she huffed for what felt like the millionth time, landing the thin book on her bedside table with a thump that would've earned her a screaming match had her mother been home. How was it that it was this particular day that all of her friends had something to do?

Hanna, Caleb, Mona, and Noel had all decided to have a double date on that specific day - and Alison noticed the friendship between the two girls was becoming even stronger. Spencer had dinner with her family to meet Melissa's new boyfriend and Toby had the same test as Emily, of course. Other than that, it was Ezra and Aria's usual poetry reading night - insert Alison's eye roll. She had even briefly contemplated joining them, but then, much like what happened with the movie marathon, she shoved that suggestion to the farthest corner of her brain. After the last time she went to one of those poetry readings, she was afraid PTSD would get her if she went again. Aria had been wrong - watching bearded hippies reciting poorly-written poetry about their dead cactus wasn't fun.