18 - She's Changing Me

The morning after the dinner, the girls were planned to meet up with their friends at The Brew for breakfast. They all arrived at the popular coffee shop one by one at 9:30 AM and sat down to order. The only one missing was Alison, who had texted Emily saying she woke up late and would be there at 9:45 instead. It wasn't like Ali to be late, so the brunette knew she wanted to ask her about it.

It was 9:46 AM when Emily glanced up from her pancakes at the sound of the bell chiming as the door opened, finding a familiar blonde sauntering towards the table.

"Hi, guys, sorry I'm late," Alison said breathlessly to everyone. "Hey, Em," she greeted Emily separately before bending down to kiss her chastely, moving to occupy to the seat next to her.

"Hi, Ali. Why did you wake up late?" Emily asked curiously.

"Ugh, my mom wouldn't let me sleep last night after we got home. She kept going on and on about how good the dinner went and how cute we looked together," Alison rolled her eyes playfully but Emily could tell she was grateful in her heart. Alison set her bag down on the floor and greedily drank orange juice from Emily's glass.

"Ali," the brunette remarked, scandalized, though she didn't really mind her girlfriend drinking some of her orange juice.

"Sorry, babe, I practically ran all the way here once I saw I was late," Alison recovered with a kiss on Emily's cheek.

When the blonde jokingly reached for one of the blueberries on her girlfriend's plate, Emily lightly slapped her hand away with a fond smile, making Alison laugh in amusement.

"So, I've been meaning to tell you guys, my dad hooked me up with some tickets for the Maroon 5 concert in Philly tomorrow night, but I can't go to it, so I was wondering if you all would want them. He gets them as a benefit from his job, he can ask for as many as he wants," Noel asked the group and Emily wondered how he could make that offer so nonchalantly. It must be nice to have such rich parents, she wondered.

"Sure, I love Maroon 5!" Hanna answered enthusiastically.

"Yes, Hanna, we know," Spencer said dryly while rolling her eyes, making Aria, Alison and Emily chuckle hysterically. The guys looked at them in confusion so Spencer took the reins on explaining. "Ever since the beginning of summer, that's the only band Hanna's been listening to, it's just Maroon 5 on repeat. Good luck, Caleb," Spencer joked and received a playful push on the shoulder from Hanna.

"I'm not that obsessed," Hanna defended.

"Yes, you are," the four girls retorted in unison. Everyone laughed again and Hanna stuck her tongue out at them.

"Why can't you go?" Alison asked Noel inquisitively after the laughter died down.

"Well, my parents finally agreed to have dinner together and talk through some of their issues, but on one condition. They'll both come only if my brother and I go too," Noel answered. "But at least they agreed to talk, which is a good sign, right?" he added with a smile and Alison nodded, a small, understanding smile gracing her face.

After everyone agreed to go to the concert, an idea popped into Spencer's mind. "Oh, we should spend the night at my family's lake house. Make this into a road trip," Spencer suggested zealously.

"That's a great idea, Spence! We can leave today, spend the night at the lake house and then kill some time in Philly before the concert tomorrow," Aria added enthusiastically.

"Yeah, we can make it a group date kind-of-thing. I mean, we couldn't have done that if Noel was comi-" Spencer stopped mid-sentence when immediately everyone's eyes grew a bit wider in unease. Awkward silence filled the table at Spencer's statement regarding the fact that Noel was the only one in the table who was single.