22 - I'm a Good Girl, I am

It was 10:00 AM when Alison exited her room and went down the stairs. She'd barely gotten a few hours of sleep, but surprisingly, she wasn't tired at all.

"Where are you going?" Jason asked from his seat at the kitchen island. Alison turned to him in surprise, not expecting the question. Jason was never one to ask her where she was headed or what were her plans. Though, she assumed, Jason had been a relatively good brother in the past few days, and had been quite supportive of her relationship with Emily. Alison actually found herself to be proud of her brother for coming around like that. It seemed that these days, he was laying off the alcohol and the drugs, and she hoped this period could last.

"Just to Emily's house," she answered nonchalantly. She approached him, grabbing an apple from the bowl on the counter and after washing it, she took a large bite. Jason snorted as he watched his little sister spit the chewed fruit and throw the apple in the trashcan. "Ugh, this family has the worst apples!" Alison spluttered out the words in a disgusted manner, making Jason cackle even harder.

"Ali, these apples aren't ready yet. That's why they're so sour," Jason explained to the dramatic girl. Alison shrugged in response and filled a glass with water, cleansing her mouth of all the leftover sourness from the apple.

She then went to the door, and indulged in the fact that, for once, she felt comfortable enough with her brother to naturally say goodbye to him. That had never happened before. "See you later, Jas," she unconsciously said, her eyes widening a bit at herself. 'Jas' had been Alison's nickname for her older brother when they were young, before they'd started acting obnoxiously towards each other.

It brought back a wave of nostalgia for Jason, who hesitated for a second before calling out, "Bye, Al." In a similar way, 'Al' was the nickname his younger self had given to the blonde.

Alison couldn't stop the small smile that spread on her lips as she walked out of their house's front door.

She walked over to Emily's house and went up the stairs to the brunette's room. "Hey, babe, your door was open-" Ali stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Emily and the state she was in. The brunette was clutching her phone tightly in her hand, heavy tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Emily?" Alison questioned concernedly as she approached the brunette hastily. She sat down next to her on the bed and wrapped her arms tightly around the girl. Emily sobbed into her shoulder and Alison felt her heart crack at the sight of her mermaid crying. "Em, what's wrong?" the blonde asked quietly.

Emily sniffled a few times before laying her chin on the girl's shoulder and taking a deep breath. "My-my dad... H-he," Emily stammered and continued crying.

Alison had no choice but assume the worst. Was he hurt? Did he... die? Tears almost rushed to the blonde's eyes in horror of her thoughts as she ran her fingers through Emily's soft, dark hair.

"H-He's being re-stationed here, to Pennsylvania. He's coming home, Ali. For good," Emily suddenly said, the tone of her voice lifting in happiness.

Alison felt a huge wave of relief come crashing down as a direct result of Emily's words, and as she released a breath she didn't know she was holding, she parted away from Emily and hit her on the arm.

"Ow! What was that for, Ali?" Emily asked miserably as she rubbed her arm and wiped away her own happy tears.

"You scared me to death, Em! I thought something really bad had happened!" Alison exclaimed in outrage and stood up, covering her face in her hands in frustration. Emily's smile faded quickly as she hesitantly walked up to her girlfriend. She placed her hand on the blonde's shoulder and pulled her closer.